Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2k max budget, hardtail or FS??
  • lee170
    Free Member

I’m about to start my search for a new bike as I’ll be buying one in the new year,
    I’ve had hardtails for the past 6 or so years which I’ve built up my self. I now have a 2k budget so I’m thinking of buying a complete bike ready to roll. So for 2k max am I best getting a hardtail or going full suss??
    Wheel size either 650b or 29. Not rode either so would have to demo one of each.
    Seen the whyte 909 for £2299 which looks the dogs. Limited on full suss due to budget.
    I ride natural trails and trail centres, north York moors, hamsterley etc etc…
    Not a big jumper but do like to get a little bit of air!
    I want a bike that can handle trail centres and natural stuff, black sections etc

Any ideas?

z1ppy

The Whyte T-130S and T-129S seem the obvious alternatives to try alongside the 909 HT, as they’re in the same budget range. Might not be 11 speed or pikes like the 909 but shouldn’t be written of due that IMO.

Lots of great full suss and hardtail bikes in the 2K range, might not be most all sing and dancing parts or stupidly expensive to replace 1×11, but they’re still very good. Try lots, take your time deciding, though I’d prefer dry conditions (ground wise) demo personally.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve been umming and ahhing over this build for a while:

On-One codeine frame and shock £799
    Pike RC £300
    Hope Headset £70
    Middle of the road bar stem and seatposts 3x £30 = £90
    SLX chainset £70
    N/W ring £25
    40t expander £40
    SLX cassette £25,
    SLX mech £25
    SLX Shifter £25
    SLX chain £20
    SLX brakes £110
    saddle £40
    Hope Pro/II and flow EX rims £330
    Seatclamp £5
    Cables, grips, sundries £20
    =£1969

Never ridden a codine so it’s not an endorsement but shows what you could do as a custom build rather than going off the shelf without realy comprimising on anything like cheap hubs.

My reservation with propper 11s builds is cassette life, fine in Moab and southern California, but when 1 really wet UK race can destroy a new cassette? Even expander kits cost £65+ depending what cassete you start with.

I’m also stil tempted by the answer I gave yesterday, 45650b for <£1k, biggest tyres you can fit and it’ll be more bang per buck than anything else. FS’ers just win on outright speed down rough decents.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Unless you’re Aaron Gwin you’re going to need some tyres thisisnotaspoon

Good suggestion though!

warpcow
    Free Member

Bird Aeris has builds from about £1500.

66deg
    Free Member

Pfffft tyres overrated.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Unless you’re Aaron Gwin you’re going to need some tyres thisisnotaspoon

And tubelss tape/valves.

Knew I’d miss something!

Pair of WTB Bronson for the summer, or purgatory in winter £60
    Tubeless tape, valves, selaent, £25

Smidgen over budget now, but you could probably find most things a few quid cheaper and doengrade the brakes to deore.

AlexSimon

If you prefer full sus, I would say that 2k is enough to get you a decent one.
    Especially from a direct sales place like Bird, Canyon, etc or a previous year bike.

I couldn’t get the Bird Aeris spreadsheet options to work, so I don’t know exactly what you could get for 2k, but their Aeris 2 is £2275 for SLX/DT wheels/Pike/Reverb which seems pretty stonking to me.

NormalMan

@ £2k on the nose the Camber Evo seems to have a good reputation.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘2k max budget, hardtail or FS??’ is closed to new replies.