Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • £2k Budget For A New DH Bike – Any Bargains Out There?
    Free Member

My brother in law recently snapped his Mk1 Santa Cruz v10 and has his first DH race later this month! Seems like a good time to pick up a new one, any advice gratefully received.

tmb467
    Free Member

There was a decathlon special for 1200 if you search the posts

Here, to be precise

jam-bo

Frame or full build? Some killer Saracen deals knocking round at the moment.

andypandy85
    Free Member

Depending on your requirements a mate is selling his Devinci Wilson, lovely bike, well looked after (ex team bike) for £1500…

legend
    Free Member

Does it have to be new? There are always bargains to be had in the classifieds (not here, try Pinkbike for a start) for DH bikes

lucien

Some clearance stuff going on over at Canyon in the outlet section – HERE

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 for PB classifieds and a discerning eye

Northwind

YT have at least one option at that price, but will it land in time?

How good is his leftover kit? Good enough to build onto a new frame? I think right now I’d be highly tempted to buy one of those Decathlons and at least give it a shot, but most likely shoot it through the head and steal its organs, then build them onto some boringly proven used frame.

Having said that my 224 didn’t cost me £2000 and is of a higher spec than you could manage with that approach.

therag
    Free Member

Where are you? Two Cardiff company’s are selling off last years team bikes. Muddybum bikes & don skeans.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How good is his leftover kit? Good enough to build onto a new frame? I think right now I’d be highly tempted to buy one of those Decathlons and at least give it a shot, but most likely shoot it through the head and steal its organs, then build them onto some boringly proven used frame.

Possibility, but assuming he already has finishing kit and a 9s drivetrain, all you’re gaining is an undersprung entry level fork, and some wheels which may/may not fit a new frame.

Ebay/pinkbike, got to be the best time of year for new bikes with parents buying kids new ones, or just generaly needing the cash quickly and very few people buying.

Free Member

Thanks everyone! Just been in a meeting so catching up with all the replies now! The kit on the Santa Cruz is a bit tired and it was time for a new (to him anyway) bike really. Doesn’t have to be brand new necessarily….. We’re going to buy a second hand frame to put all of the old parts onto so he has a backup too…

Free Member

He was looking at a Saracen Myst Pro but we’ve missed the boat on that one I think as the place that had them with almost a third off has sold out.

Free Member

Where are you? Two Cardiff company’s are selling off last years team bikes. Muddybum bikes & don skeans.

We’re in Lancashire, but no issue with travelling for the right bike, think he’s planning to go to Bristol to pick up an Orange 223 frame to put the old parts onto tomorrow.

How do we find out about the ex team bikes mate?

andypandy85
    Free Member

How do we find out about the ex team bikes mate?

Sent you an email about it bud 🙂

Andy

andypandy85
    Free Member

Alternatively there’s a medium Saracen Myst brand new for £1850 here…

These get raved about big time and did very well in the BDS and Pearce DH series in 2013…

Free Member

Alternatively there’s a medium Saracen Myst brand new for £1850 here…

These get raved about big time and did very well in the BDS and Pearce DH series in 2013…

Thanks mate, we were looking at brand new ones from Singletrack Bikes for £1899.00 but they’ve just sold out of Mediums and only have Large left unfortunately.

http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m20b73s634p22753/SARACEN_Myst_Pro_2013/RS_GB/47696?gclid=CM2Tmvmq4rsCFW_MtAodC38AgA

stomlinson
    Free Member

medium Nukeproof Scalp in stock at Velotive 20% discount 1750 free delivery

Free Member

medium Nukeproof Scalp in stock at Velotive 20% discount 1750 free delivery

Thanks mate, saw those but was slightly put off by the Domains as I’m told they have steel stanchions?!!

legend
    Free Member

Or go direct(ish) to CRC and get a Scalp for £1650: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-scalp-dh-rockshox-kage-2013/rp-prod87481

2nd hand would still be my option though

Free Member

Thank you, unfortunately 16.5″ is a large I believe, we need small or med at most.

edward2000
    Free Member

2008 ironhorse sunday. It was good enough for Sam Hill. I have one, and after trying many other dh bikes out there, I would never shift my sunday.

Get the shock push tuned and add a ti spring too.

edward2000
    Free Member

^ and also get headset which will slacken the head angle out a bit and you will have a fantastic bike

stomlinson
    Free Member

1978 not too sure about performance on the Domain to be honest thought they had Boxxer, Morewood izimu look a good bike 15% off at Bike Active plus another 10% off in Jan or I would wait and get new Yt tues they look an amazing bike for the money.

chakaping
    Free Member

This looks quite promising (nothing to do with me)…

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1486093/

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘£2k Budget For A New DH Bike – Any Bargains Out There?’ is closed to new replies.