Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 2Chainz
  • LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

No, not the popular hip-hop artist.

How does everyone maintain their drive train?

3 chains and rotate after a few 100 miles or so.

1 chain, ride it till it breaks, replace whole drive train.

As always, many thanks.

Northwind

1 chain, well looked after, lasts a long time and I expect to do cassette roughly every 3-4 chains depending on whether I push my luck. (cheaper chains helps this, I’ve found, I used to buy posh ones and I always wanted to get maximum life out of them… Now I buy basic, decent ones and I don’t mind replacing a little early)

mrblobby
    Free Member

A couple of chains. One on while the other gets a clean. Swap when it’s needed. Keep an eye on wear with a chain checker tool, replace chain when it’s getting stretched. Cassettes and chainrings will last a lot longer that way.

legend
    Free Member

1 chain, replace when it’s ruined. Cassette gets changed eventually or if shifting starts to go wonky. Not scientific but my gears are always fine, so works for me

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cheap-ish chain and cassette (10 speed SLX/XT or equivalent), replace everything when the shifting reaches the point of 2 down one up (c.a 2000miles).

Having two or three working bikes means I just grab the SS or touring bike, and leave the racer or nice MTB in the shed if it’s going to be horrible so the more expensive drive chains last far longer anyway.

I tried rotating chains, but it seems that 90% of the wear occurs on those rides where the lube washes off, so one chain was always far worse than the others anyway after one of those rides, and putoline means this happens far less often these days anyway. I suppose I could rotate the chain when the wax washes out, but then with three chains it’d probably only need doing once in a year (and keeping track of 3x chains, on 4 bikes is going to get faffy and probably mean 13 speed will be out before they’re worn!).

bothybiker
    Free Member

Don’t ride enough to ever wear anything out 😳

Likely to replace full drivetrain as required, probably every few years…

Kahurangi

10 speed, so cheap (replaced the entire drivetrain this year for less than £70, brand new).

1 chain, run it til the whole lot is shagged, replace. Approx 1 year at current rates.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I’ve got more pressing things to worry about, so I just ride and clean the chain now and then.

When it needs changing, I change it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘2Chainz’ is closed to new replies.