Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 2Bliss tyres and Mavic 819s
  • legend
    Free Member

Anyone else having issues getting this sort of combo seated properly? I’ve got a Specialized Butcher and a Purgatory, running tubes so it’s not a tubeless issue as such, and the bloody things just do not seem to want to sit properly on my Mavic 819 rims. Almost looks like the diameter of the bead is slightly too small for the rim, so it takes a dive at one point.

They’re not falling off, but it’s really annoying me!

scaled
    Free Member

I would expect it to be fine, that’s a UST wheelset though so the bead hook is slightly different.

Maybe give them a go tubeless if you’ve got some valves?

ninfan
    Free Member

so it takes a dive at one point.

you need to lube your rim up properly with washing up liquid or similar and then pump it up – the bead will pop onto the shoulder, and show the same amount of bead round the whole rim

legend
    Free Member

true, haven’t tried giving my rim a good lubing yet! Tried all my usual seating methods, including using a million psi. Good suggestion thanks!

Scaled, yeah I was a bit concerned about the bead hooks being different. No point in trying tubeless until they sit in the right place.

garage-dweller

You need to stop using tubes! Goop them up and lube them up on the beads.

I use 2bliss on 819’s most of the time only ever without tubes.

Anything with a tube on those rims is ime a pain in the butt.

oli575
    Free Member

I ran Eskar 2bliss on my 819’S tubeless with no issues refitting several times.

garage-dweller

If they are sticking at one point I sometimes tap the tyre on some soft ground to ping it in place. this is not guaranteed and you need to exercise care not to **** the wheel!

woodsman
    Free Member

legend, you’re missing the point. 819 are designed to work with UST tyres. The bead hooks are so, that they seal up on the UST tyres perfectly. When I’ve tried them with conventional tyres it takes an age to get the bead to sit right, as the rims are designed to grab the tyre bead aggressively hence – tubeless or UST to be precise.

I use Panaracer UST tyres and the 819’s hook up nice and square every time. Basically, you’re using a rim which is designed for a different set up than you are using. I don’t think it will work to your satisfaction. 🙂

legend
    Free Member

No no, I’m quite sure I get the point, however “Compatible with all types of tyres (UST, Tubeless ready, tubetype)” from http://www.mavic.com/rims/ust

Also the tyres aren’t conventional, hence the 2Bliss part which is UST compatible (with some gloop involved)

garage-dweller

The web site would say that!

I have had 819s for a decade now.

Tube + 819 = pain
    UST or 2bliss tyre + goop = smiles

Stop chuffing about with tubes and use them as mavic intended.

The only time I would consider putting a tube in is if I split a sidewall. The friction between tube and tyre is a very substantial part of your bead setting problem. I had to tube a 2 bliss tyre in an emergency last year that HAD been on earlier in the day with no tube. It would not pop on. At home with no tube and goop and soaped bead it popped on at sub 20psi.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I had this over the weekend with Purgatorys – absolute PITA.

The bead is very, very tight and was an absolute swine to get on the rim. Then the bead itself wouldn’t sit right. I solved it with a layer of electrical tape along the rim, which gave enough of a purchase to seal. In addition I inflated without the valve core and it eventually found it’s way on.

After that, I fell to my knees, excrementally denounced Specialized, Mavic, Tony Blair and Fatcha. Why? I’d managed to put the bloody tyre on the wrong bloody way round on the bloody rim.

legend
    Free Member

After that, I fell to my knees, excrementally denounced Specialized, Mavic, Tony Blair and Fatcha. Why? I’d managed to put the bloody tyre on the wrong bloody way round on the bloody rim.

genuine lolz at that one 😆

st

Did this a week or so ago. 819 rim and new Purgatory 2.3, didn’t want to know when I tried to inflate it dry with a compressor but with a good dousing in soapy water it went up a treat.

I found that the tyre went onto the rim no trouble though.

Northwind

Purgs aren’t especially tight ime, had both of those on 819s (and other UST rims), went up and came off fine. Both a wee bit wide to be ideal on 819s mind, but not too bad.

legend
    Free Member

Nothing to do with them being tight NW, just refusing to seat properly at the moment. Had no issues on 719s with them, wider rims would be nice though. The missus is away, so nothing to stop me lubing up my rim tonight

Northwind

Sorry chief, that was more at PJM.

legend
    Free Member

I getcha, nae worries

legend
    Free Member

Lubrication wins the day 🙂 I like the reassuring “pung” you get when the bead snaps into place. Thanks folks

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘2Bliss tyres and Mavic 819s’ is closed to new replies.