Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • 2Bliss tyres
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Do they ever stop sweating sealant? Using Stans on a set that have been on the bike for some months now and they’d lost some pressure/sidewalls were wet yesterday when I got the bike out.

legend
    Free Member

Mine are getting worse as they get older (2 Butcher Controls) so I’d guess they’ll stop when they run out of sealant

Yak

I’m just about to take a couple of 18month old 2bliss control cased tyres off. They are sweating a lot and have actual mini puddles forming. But these are old tyres with threads showing on the sidewalls now. I don’t think they did this when new.

Fwiw – the geax/vittoria saguaros that had been on for the same time/mileage are still fine with no sweating at all. Must be less durable sidewalls on the spesh tyres.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got a Purgatory on the rear wheel of my Big Top and it doesn’t leak much. Doesn’t stay up like a proper UST tyre though. Bring back UST!

muggomagic

I read on mtbr that specialized were offering warranty replacements on tyres that were leaking sealant from the sidewalls. The discussion was about plus size Purgs and GCs though, but you would think it would apply to all their tyres.

VanHalen

i find teh controls weep all teh time. not as bad as a single ply maxxis but not great.

The grid versions appear fine at present.

simondbarnes

Do they ever stop sweating sealant?

Mine do after a couple of rides.

Northwind

Had it with some swurks tyres but never with the controls tbh. If in doubt, add some cheap glitter- it can seal tyres up better and it makes you sparkly.

Gotama
    Free Member

I also find Stans to be pants relative to caffe latex. Never has any seeping with the latter, be it grid or control casing.

Brainflex

Yesterday I got my 6fattie out and the back tyre was flat, 4 month old and had sweated 100ml of stans out. Purgatory on the front nowhere near as bad but does sweat a bit.

onewheelgood

I’ve got two sets of 2Bliss Ground Controls, one 26″, on 27.5″, one with Stans and one with Slime. Both are fine, although the Slime lasts a lot longer than the Stans.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Butcher cOntrol is bad, Slaughter is awful. Ride well though

davros

My butcher and purgatory are more than 2 years old. The sidewalls are worn with visible thread and they sweat sealant from the sidewalls but they lose little air.

Brainflex

Muggomagic, got a link to the MTBR article re warranty on specialized tyres? Thanks

legend
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Had it with some swurks tyres but never with the controls tbh. If in doubt, add some cheap glitter- it can seal tyres up better and it makes you sparkly.

Is there a specific measurement of glitter to use, or just whatever’s left over from the weekend? 😉

Del

sweaty 2bliss here too. save the glitter for special occasions.

rOcKeTdOg

Is this the same glitter you roll turds in?

muggomagic

It wasn’t an article it was a forum thread where people were commenting that they were having this problem and Specialized were replacing the tyres under warranty as they seemed to be aware of an issue with a batch/batches of tyres.

mtbr link. There are 59 pages on this thread though so hope you have plenty of spare time.

Brainflex

thanks, I read the fuse thread, time to work my way through the stumpie one.

luket

My 2 or 3 year old ones have done no sweating at all. So maybe it’s more recent batches.

Still, I like the sound of glitter. Although it seems a waste to put it on the inside. Was it left over from decorating your handlebar tassels?

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I had 2 storm control replaced by lbs as although brand new the sealant was almost pouring out the sides. The new ones are still poor in the staying up stakes… maxiss and schwalbe are far better it seems.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Strange the purgatory and butcher I have on my bronson don’t weep and actually they barely lose any pressure at all either, compared to the set of storms I have on hardtail which seem to drop pressure over a day or so

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Still, I like the sound of glitter.

makes sense. Any recommendations on a source? 100g packs on eBay seem to be about £2.50 – is there anything better?

chestrockwell

My two Purgatory’s weep but not too much and they don’t lose much air. I will probably try a different brand when it’s time to change but I’m in no rush.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Try painting latex solution on the inside of the tyres?

This worked for me way back in the days of tubeless conversion kits and XC tyres with pinholes galore in the sidewalls. Well, when I say worked, it worked so far as leaky sidewalls were concerned, I wouldnt say it ever worked as an overall solution so I went back to tubes until things got better with UST and tubeless ready stuff.

Northwind

luket – Member

Still, I like the sound of glitter.

Glitter doesn’t make a sound. Dur.

I use tesco stuff, because it’s convenient, it was a quid for 4 vials/tubes and I put about a quarter in any hard-to-seal tyre so it goes a long long way. Remember to put the caps back on or you will regret it, don’t arsk me how I knows, I just knows.

jekkyl

I think this sympton seems to be worse in warm weather.

ocrider

It must be a more recent batch, I bought some purgs a few years ago and they never sweated. The sidewall deformed before it had the opportunity to tear, which was nice…

sandwicheater

Having never noticed or paid attention, i looked on my Purgs last night and they had sweat marks all over the side walls. Coming up to two years old so may be an age thing but it was very warm also.

Not noticed any drop in pressure, only pump them up every two months or so.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

2 bliss are supposed to have an extra layer of butyl to hold air and sealant. They’re specifically design to be run with sealant, so if they’re crying sealant through the sidewalls, I’d be taking them back for replacements.

Mostly my tubeless only cry more as they get older as the carcass gets more battered.

caddy147
    Free Member

I run hans dampf with no issues at all!! 🙂

unovolo
    Free Member

Got Purgatorys on mine and for the first few rides they sweated quite a bit (using OKO magic milk), since then have been fine until its dried up abit then started loosing air again , chucked some of Decathlons finest sealant in(not recommended for tubeless ready but thought i would experiment)and it works perfectly.

legend
    Free Member

ocrider – Member
    It must be a more recent batch, I bought some purgs a few years ago and they never sweated. The sidewall deformed before it had the opportunity to tear, which was nice…
    POSTED 6 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Been running Purgatorys and Butchers for 2 or 3 years now. The Purgatorys did it straight away, Butchers take some use before it starts. Always been there for me though

simondbarnes

2 bliss are supposed to have an extra layer of butyl to hold air and sealant. They’re specifically design to be run with sealant, so if they’re crying sealant through the sidewalls, I’d be taking them back for replacements.

The extra layer of butyl is over the tyre bead, not the carcass. The carcass relies on the sealant to seal the microscopic holes in it hence you get some weeping of sealant while this process happens.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘2Bliss tyres’ is closed to new replies.