Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 29r popularity on STW explained
  • soobalias
    Free Member

Nice to see BikeSnobNYC cutting through the marketing BS and getting right to the crux of the matter.

Its been evident for a couple of years now that these clown wheeled bikes are gaining popularity amongst STW users and apart from those folk over 6’2″ tall i just couldnt understand, till this…

I wondered why Walmart was selling bikes with giant wheels and lots of spokes, at which point someone wandered over to examine one. It was then, looking at this person, that I realized it’s because the average American weighs something like 350lbs. And don’t give me that nonsense about how smaller-diamater wheels are intrinsically stronger, because it’s all about “angle of attack,” and when a 350lb Walmart shopper is riding a 26-inch mountain bike with flat tires on a poorly-maintained sidewalk those tiny wheels are basically little better than wedges.

embrace the paunch, be proudly middle aged and overweight*, fill the mountain bike forum full of ‘diet’ talk and buy yourself a big wheeler.

32incher, rigid, drivetrain unknown.

*IT working, Audi driving still optional.

snipswhispers
    Free Member

one of those bikes with ‘proper’ brakes?

i’m sold!

johnnystorm

Imagine the shrapnel from that many spokes when they go off, which they will! 😉

jameso

New Genesis 32″ model? Things have changed there )

TooTall
    Free Member

Seeing as I am a lardcore rider of extra height, I will be bypassing the 32″ fad and will seek out a 36er next year.

If it was weight-based, soobalias would have never got beyond BMX wheels – skinny wee thing that he is.

wwaswas

[edit] re reads text.

jameso

embrace the paunch, be proudly middle aged and overweight*, fill the mountain bike forum full of ‘diet’ talk and buy yourself a big wheeler travel bike.

All the rigid big wheelers I see in the UK are ridden by skinny geeky types.. 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘29r popularity on STW explained’ is closed to new replies.