Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29+/Fat tyre pressure
  • giantjason
    Free Member

What do people recommend as a pressure for the front tyre on a 29er singlespeed.

The tyre is a Surly Knard 29 x 3″ and I have been running around 15-20psi, however on today’s ride on a couple of stony descents I was getting shook all over the place.

Am I able to run it lower or do I risk damaging the rim or have noticeable drag increase.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

On a 50mm rim- mine was about 12psi- I didn’t like the steering at pressures lower than this. It.’s not a true fat tyre, so you’re going to be bounced a bit.

giantjason
    Free Member

I have velocity p35 rims so am a bit wary of running really low pressures

tazzymtb

P35 tubeless with a knard at 10-12 psi is fine and dandy here. No burps no squirms no drama. I only run 16psi on the front of the sheep with stans ztrs and a raven so im not a high pressure kinda monkey, had the odd rim steike in the peak but no hassles

ajantom

Depends on terrain and conditions. Today on a 45 miler with lots of road sections I was running about 22 psi, but on a purely off-road ride I tend to run 15-16 psi.
    You are going to get bounced around whatever pressure you put in though, as it is undamped suspension in the form of a large tyre. Take the pressure too low and you’ll get lots of pinch punctures (voice of experience speaking!)

tazzymtb

Only pinch puncture if you use tooooobs though..embrace the spaff and liberate yourself from such petty constrictions

ajantom

I like tubes, they fit in with my Luddite tendencies 😉

akasteve
    Free Member

11 to 12 psi here on tubeless Knard/ Rabbit hole combo also.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I’ve been running 20 psi on a P35, could go a little lower,but does feel a bit squirmy. Does anyone know if Dually 29s are in the country yet?

amplebrew

Bruise Willies – Member
    I’ve been running 20 psi on a P35, could go a little lower,but does feel a bit squirmy. Does anyone know if Dually 29s are in the country yet?

Yes, Duallys are in the UK.

JRA have built me up a couple of pairs.

giantjason
    Free Member

What do people use to convert these rims to tubeless? Is it the velocity tubeless kit or some other?

akasteve
    Free Member

Did my tubeless with a 24″ innertube split down the middle over the normal rim strip. Think there’s a method on ‘While out riding’ blog, search Google. Didn’t use any other tape. Pumped up with a track pump and after initial shaking about to spread the Stan’s latex it’s barely lost any pressure.

coastkid
    Free Member

15 psi on my Surly KramPugs Rabbit hole/3″ Knards, depends on your weight what suits you, i`m a tad under 14 stone 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

You can still get pinch flats running tubeless.

peanut
    Free Member

Tooblissed my duallys with 1″ Gorilla tape. All good so far.

john_l
    Free Member

Blunt 35s are tubeless ready.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29+/Fat tyre pressure’ is closed to new replies.