Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 29er's Survey: stem angles – inverted giving 0 deg or angled up to the stars?
  • teddy
    Free Member

how we running our clown bikes these days?

Short 30 degree rise stem on both, due a neck/wrist problem, to get the weight off my hands.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

100mm, 6 degree rise, on 2″ risers, tried some fleegles but needed a high rise stem and it looked daft.

Bimbler
    Free Member

100mm 17 degree rise with Fleegles

letmetalktomark

100mm 0 degree with 600mm flat bars

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Currently running a 6 degree-rise 100mm stem with a low-rise wide bar. With no stackers. Running a stem up-side-down with low-risers just looks (and feels) plain wrong to me.

Position’s not *far* off being perfect, but I’ll soon be running a nought degree-rise 90mm stem.

clubber
    Free Member

90mm 6 degree stem upside down (eg negative rise) with no spacers under it on an XL swift. I was thinking last night that it’s still a bit high though – I reckon Swifts’ head tubes are a bit too long. I don’t know how people ride some of the setups I see – looks like you’re on a vicar’s bike with the bars up in the sky 🙂 Each to their own, I guess…

miketually
    Free Member

It depends.

When I was running a drop bar, I had a high-rise stem (120mm 45deg, IIRC). Now that I’ve got flipped Mary bars on there, it’s a negative rise 90mm stem.

On the TD-1 I borrowed, it was a 70mm low-rise (6deg?). Other people on the same bike have different length stems.

If I had a 29er DH bike, it’s have a very short/low stem. Like I have on my 26″ bike, in fact.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

adeward
    Free Member

small ragley td-1 carnegie bars 50mm stem,, it’s greaaaaaaaaaaaaat as Toni would say

NZCol

90mm 6 deg stem here with carbon risers on a Tallboy. I was thinking about flipping it this weekend to see what it was like, maybe flip and move up 2 spacers, its just a wee bit high right now. Interestingly my wife was having problems on her anthem with setup and i flipped the stem on that and it sorted them for her, much better position. Always worth fiddling with these things to see what works and what doesn’t.

mboy
    Free Member

80mm 6 degree rise with 710mm flat bars. On an 18″ On One (short head tube) with only 1 headset spacer (which was necessitated by the very short 175mm steerer on the Reba’s I inherited).

Suits me ok, if anything I could probably run some 15-20mm rise bars instead of the flat bar, but I quite like the low and long stance on the 29er.

hoojum
    Free Member

100mm 0 degree stem with a a 10 degree sweep flat bar.

shortcut

Mid rise Easton ea70s a 6 degree stem at 90mm, and a few spacers!

JRTG
    Free Member

110mm 6 degree negative stem with 620mm bonty big sweep bars on rigid niner forks. How some of these bikes go round corners with such high front ends is a mystery to me……

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

70mm 0 degree rise

rOcKeTdOg

80mm 7 degree rise on both of mine, one with flat bars, one with risers (clerical collar just out of shot)

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

when i had my Paragon, i had a 90mm -12deg stem and flat bars, and which ever big wheeler i get next year will probably be the same racy set up……..

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

i run a 90mm 5degree upside down, with 710mm flats like my bars low.

thomthumb
    Free Member

-6 degree stem and flat bars.

coastkid
    Free Member

2 surlys…25mm spacers, 90mm 0 degree`s stems,2″ riser bars- but i hate low bars though it suits some guys… 😮

miketually
    Free Member

A lot of people on STW, not just 29er owners, seem to run their bars far, far too high.

gee
    Free Member

6 deg 100mm stem inverted with a riser bar and 20mm of spacers.

Yes, I could remove the spacers and run it the right way up but then I’d have to cut the steerer and that makes the forks harder to sell on at the end of the season. Plus I prefer the look of an inverted stem as the line matches the top tube.

GB

tazzymtb

Plus I prefer the look of an inverted stem as the line matches the top tube.

You big tart! 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

miketually – Member
    A lot of people on STW, not just 29er owners, seem to run their bars far, far too high. run their bars how they like and don’t give a toss

fixed etc

thv3
    Free Member

80mm 0 degree rise and flat bars. Seems “right” for me, just now………..

si-wilson
    Free Member

How can a bar be too high, within reason?

grant

110mm, zero rise stem, 5mm spacer, Element Nickel wide bars cut down a tad.

shortcut

Handlebar height it relative to saddle height. And should not be judged on the basis ofbar, stem and spacer combo!

coastkid
    Free Member

yeah…too high says who?, personly i dont want all the wieght on my wrists and i like to look around while riding not 3 feet in front 😮

A lot of people on STW, not just 29er owners, seem to run their bars far, far too high.

That’ll be me then.

Lynskey by Vegan Graham, on Flickr

I know it’s wrong, but if it’s the only way I can keep riding for 8 hours around Ashton Court tomorrow, it’ll have to do.

big_scot_nanny

Had a 115mm with 5degree rise, with carnegie bars (which do bring the nhands back a bit), but felt too far over the front on the steeps, so recently switched to a 70mm 0degree stem with 685mm flat bars. Feels very good.

Kev

Sam

100, 5 deg rise, usually up, down if I’m feeling all racy.

I reckon Swifts’ head tubes are a bit too long

For everyone that says they’re too long, I’ve got someone else who says ‘thank god you make em a decent length’. As they say, you can’t please everyone! You’ll be glad to hear the Pegasus does have a slightly lower, more race oriented geometry though Clubber.

miketually
    Free Member

too high says who?

Raising the bar height seems to be the default response to feeling uncomfortable on the bike and/or done to “improve handling”. It’s not always the correct response.

And it looks gash 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

90mm +6deg with low risers but have also run it 100mm +17deg with drops on but no pix

Eccles
    Free Member

6 degree rise on its side at the botom of a box of parts in the spare room. Sam, how are you getting on with that latest batch?

No pressure…

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, I know Sam but a 20mm shorter head tube (even 10mm!) could be spaced up but it’s an arse to space down. Plus the TT clearance would be (admittedly very slightly) better – though I’m blessed enough for that not to be an issue 🙂

Pegasus would be lovely but I think the cost of the resultant divorce would outweigh any benefits 😉

john_l
    Free Member

-10 degree/100mm stem & a flat, wide EA70

Getting the weight over the front makes world of difference to handling.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘29er's Survey: stem angles – inverted giving 0 deg or angled up to the stars?’ is closed to new replies.