Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)
  • 29er's – are they measurably better?
  • jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

isn’t the point just to get over bumpy stuff easier? with speed/weight being secondary considerations..

sefton
    Free Member

I thought the only advantage was this

grum
    Free Member

If (as according to some) bigger wheels = better, why stop at 29ers?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

well having tried a 36er recently, they are not particularly manouverable (even in a carpark..)

nosemineb
    Free Member

I dont believe they have stopped at 29er..

If (as according to some) smaller wheels = better, why stop at 26ers?

grum
    Free Member

If (as according to some) smaller wheels = better, why stop at 26ers?

I don’t, I’ve got a BMX. 😉

I never said smaller wheels = better BTW. Smaller wheels = fine. I can see there are some advantages for giants/racers, but a lot of people frothing over them are just looking for something different for no real reason, IMHO.

Dave
    Free Member

It’s also a shame that none of the magazines are interested in doing proper product testing that could answer these sort of questions, instead of just copy & pasting press releases.

Ha ha ha ha

I’ve got a BMX

20″ wheels ?
    Pah, you should be on a 12er.

STATO
    Free Member

I had a Yeti ASR and now a Salsa Spearfish, they are both light-ish short travel (XC if you want to say it) bikes with similar design of suspension. I swapped most of the built-kit over so only wheels/frame/fork are different.

The Yeti was a very good climber, the Salsa is better.
    The Yeti was a very impressive descender, the Salsa is better/quicker but not quite as much fun.

Both of these things are down to the wheels, i have noticed i can just point it where i want and it will go over almost everything in its path, the Yeti could do this to a point but often ran out of traction/grip.

Now of course the Yeti was designed as an outandout XC race bike while the Salsa was designed as an Endurance bike, and they state in the blurb it may not be as quick handling over short distance but will be steady easy to ride even when tired. Id agree with this also, its a lot nicer to ride when im shattered than the Yeti, but then you do lose some of the fun when your fresh.

Does this mean all 29er’s arnt fun? unlikely, just as it donst mean all 26er’s arnt easy to ride when your shattered. Horses for courses.

rewski
    Free Member

Sorry but you can do the science bit until you’re blue in the face, so far everyone I’ve seen looks wrong.

rOcKeTdOg

I ride quicker for longer on my 29er because it fits better than any of my 26ers ever did, fit is everything, that saud I’m enjoying my 69er SS too atm so go figure

Mike_D
    Free Member

The differences between different 29ers are as big as the differences between 26ers and 29ers.

^^ This. Ascribing the same qualities to all 29ers (and, by extension, all 26ers) is as nonsensical as saying that all aluminium bikes are the same, or all 100mm travel bikes, or all red bikes.

Rorschach
    Free Member

If they were…..the uci would have banned them.
    Now, which is betterer apples or oranges?

thekingofsweden

Mmmmm i think there better for the riding i like to do on the bikes i like to ride

Biggest thing i have seen is you can get a relatively cheap 26″wheelset and the feel doesn’t change that much to a more expensive set

A cheap 29er wheelset will be heavy and slow where as a decent set of 29″ wheels will be expensive but make a massive difference

I know Jeff was using a 26″ front with a large tyre with a 29″ rear god knows why on that one

tazzymtb

Pears, silly

Rorschach
    Free Member

A nice pair? ……mmmmmmmmmm

zippykona

Does anyone remember the full sus / hardtail what’s better conversations we used to have?

sefton
    Free Member

steel, ali or ti? 😆

binners

20″ wheels ?
    Pah, you should be on a 12er.

A bit like this Graham?

partyboy
    Free Member

We need sticky FAQs so stooopid threads like this can get deleted.

BTW What tyres for a 29er?

thekingofsweden

lol partyboy 🙄

singlespeedstu

The main difference with 29ers seems to be the smugness and superiority complex of the people who talk about them on internet forums.

I’d say the main difference is that people who own 29ers don’t keep posting on every thread that mentions a 26er saying how wrong they are.

It still makes me laugh how some people talk about 29ers like they’re all the same.

Ride what ever you want i for one couldn’t give two ***** what it is.

Toasty

Ive only ridded dalby

That was definitely my favouritest bit in here, and I readed it all!

Edric64
    Free Member

After 29er what next the penny penny? lets take big wheels all the way back to Victorian times

Keef
    Free Member

29erz are soooo last week dahlings……

36erz are the future !

tazzymtb

do those that constantly knock big wheels use wide bars? is this something we should focus on next?

you know 700mm plus bars are like for attention whores only screaming “look at me I’ve got the span of a chimp! all you narrow baby bar users should worship at my temple of gnar!”

singlespeedstu

36erz are the future !

http://flic.kr/p/ainffx
    You’d never catch me even trying on of them things out and forming my own opinion.

grum
    Free Member

I’d say the main difference is that people who own 29ers don’t keep posting on every thread that mentions a 26er saying how wrong they are.

Where did I say that?

You’d never catch me even trying on of them things out and forming my own opinion.

Wow what a bunch of crazy zany guys you lot are. 😐

OCB
    Free Member

I wonder if there is anything that can be dug up from the 24″ vs 26″ wheel debate that appeared back along, in the community of riders that I believe to practice a discipline known as ‘dirt jumping’.

It’d be different data of course, but the principles of smaller vs larger would seem to still apply here, given the relative equivalences in sizes.

I am rather taken with the idea of an ‘Ordinary‘ bicycle …

Keef
    Free Member

Stu,nor me. 8) crazee man,crazee yeah…… 8)

Keef
    Free Member

did you see what I did there………

singlespeedstu

Where did I say that?

I never said you did. Though you do seem to have some kind of addiction to posting negative comments on threads that mention 29ers.

Wow what a bunch of crazy zany guys you lot are

I know it’s ridiculous isn’t it. Next time i’ll just read an out of date review on a forum. That’ll give me a much better idea of how something works/doesn’t work. 😆

tazzymtb

come on stu.. be fair….Grum posts negative comments on lots of threads , not just ones about 29ers

jameso

The simple answer to OP is ‘no’.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Not again folks! 😕

emac65
    Free Member

I’ve got a 29er – it’s ok.I’ve also got a 26er & it’s grrrrrreeeat….

& I’m faster than xckeith on either of them,although he is about 20 years older than me….

tazzymtb

I’m faster than xckeith

to be fair an asthmatic snail with heavy shopping going uphill is faster than keef 😉

partyboy
    Free Member

Ti456 and Scandal 29er are different styles of bike though, so not really a fair 26/29 comparison

tazzymtb

I’ve run a scandium voodoo sobo as a total weight weenie xc race machine and a salsa selma scandium and carbon total race singlepseed 29er. My lap times around circuits on the chase are marginally faster with the selma, the flat out straight bits are much quicker with gears and small wheels, climbs are at a similar time and really rooty and boggy sections are faster on the big wheel. If I was using a mamasita 29er with gears the times would be much quicker than a comparable 26″ bike over the same terrain for me.

Surely it’s about the right tool for the job, have a selection of bikes and take whichever one is better for the task.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘29er's – are they measurably better?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts