• This topic has 32 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by benji.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • 29er/650b+ frame, light, SS-compatible… does it exist?
  • mbqwerty
    Free Member

Thinking about next year’s purchase to race a bit more XC. Tried a few local races this year and got the bug. So it’s gotta be light…. not high-modulus carbon light, but certainly not a big ole’ fat bike. Big fan of steel but obviously with that normally comes a weight penalty.

It’s going to be raced in singlespeed races too, so either sliding dropouts or EBB compatible (BB30 is also fine using niner’s EBB).

Lastly, it’s not just going to be ridden on short course XC. There’s no way I can justify buying a bike with that small of a niche, so thinking it’d be great to get something that’s 650b+ compatible to run some big 2.8 nics (or similar) in the crap weather, or when it’s snowed (riding doesn’t stop for winter!!) or generally something which is going to be a bit more forgiving on all day rides on a hard XC frame with otherwise tiny 29er tyres. Therefore.. it’s going to need clearance in the back end!

Any thoughts? Am I asking too much from one frame?

whitestone
    Free Member

Stooge?

scotroutes

Budget?

nemesis
    Free Member

Swift fulfills all of that except for not being particularly light. How serious is the XC racing?

AlasdairMc

Ti Stooge?

twojumpers

Jamis Dragon Slayer?

http://plusbikes.com/jamis-dragon-slayer-short-term-review/

Not that racy though.

2tyred

I bought a Gary Fisher Rig frame (alu, nothing fancy about it) off the classifieds here earlier on this year, which has an eccentric BB and regular dropouts.

Put a pair of SS-specific Crests on, Reba, with XT brakes and cranks, currently got 2.25 Nobby Nics set up tubeless, everything else out of the spares box and it weighs hardly anything. Perfect XC race bike. Turned out great.

Stoner
    Free Member

my On-One ti29er is spot on for that if you can find a s/h one.

WTB trail blasters 2.8″ 650b+.

Tugnuts on O-O slotted drop outs.

Whole shebang weighs in around the 20-21lb mark.

GregMay
    Free Member

Salsa El Mariachi – Ti if you can afford it. I’ve had WTB Trailblazers in mine out of interest.

Clobber
    Free Member

Trek Stache

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Budget is mid-range, and second hand always preffered. Doesn’t have to be a mega cheap £100 frame but at the same time, no FSI’s!

my On-One ti29er is spot on for that if you can find a s/h one.

Yeah I’ve been keeping my eye’s out for a t’inbred for a while but they’re like rocking horse crap to get hold of!

The racing won’t be THAT serious… I’m unlikely to ever podium but going to be doing a lot of fitness training over the winter for next year’s Enduro season too.

Maybe I’ll try beat Nathan one race…. you know who you are!

scotroutes

What is mid-range for a frame? Yeti rather than Santa Cruz? 😆

Rorschach
    Free Member

Get PACT to make you one?

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Second hand price, up to a few hundred if it’s right (just for the frame)

lardman
    Free Member

in the spirit of suggesting what i happen to have for sale….

I have a Mountain Cycle Rumble frame for sale. It’s not super light, but not heavy either. Designed around a 130mm fork which still gives liovely handling. I have the replaceable drop-outs for 26″ geared and SS, also the 650b/29er geared drop-outs too. Straight headtube tho’, so you’d have to have forks to fit.

Does all you need it to. £120 with all the drop-outs. + post.

Clink

Trek Superfly ss frameset – if you can get one 😉

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Trek Superfly ss frameset – if you can get one

can it run geared as an option?? It’ll spend a lot of its life geared only going SS for winter, SSUK, and SS races

johnnystorm

On One lurcher with swapouts.

fin25
    Free Member

Surly karate monkey. Not the lightest, but certainly the most versatile.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Santa cruz highball alloy. Swapout dropouts available its been an excellent frame so far.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Hmmm that cruz looks pretty nice! Bit of a high standover but I’m being a bit picky, anyone used them with 650b+?

had someone email me an absolutely beautiful Ti Kinesis that was perfect… stupid house buying stopping me getting beautiful frames!

takisawa2

SIR.9 works well.
    Very light for a steel frame.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wRtnLd]Untitled[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

everyone
    Free Member

Just because you’re getting yourself a fast bike doesn’t mean you’ll beat me!

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Just because you’re getting yourself a fast bike doesn’t mean you’ll beat me!

We meet again… As long as I bring a bottle of rum next year I’m sure I’ve got a chance haha. I don’t have to outrace you, just out drink you!

everyone
    Free Member

Ooh that’s a bold move! I might just do all my training hungover haha

rexated
    Free Member

Niner Air 9 with eccentric BB…. Just like the one I happen to be planning to sell if you’re after a medium

monkeyp

Get a Cannondale Trail SS and upgrade parts. Cheap bike, can take gears, great frame but cheap components. Have got mine down to about 21lb without much fuss.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Niner Air 9 with eccentric BB…. Just like the one I happen to be planning to sell if you’re after a medium

I am after a medium indeed… but this is planning for next year post-christmas so unless you’ll accept an IOU or it’s well priced I think you may have a job on your hands haha

Unless it’s black and white/green and black with matching forks… then let’s talk :-p

rexated
    Free Member

Alas, it is white and silver 😉

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Carbon or ally? Go on… I’ll bite, price and pics? (email in my profile)

Clink

Bike Radar Review

Swinnertons link

I managed to get a frameset – in very short supply though.

Not on UK site, but on US site http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/superfly/superfly_ss/

benji
    Free Member

Charge cooker, yes it’s a complete bike, but sell what you don’t want on it, and fund pimping it out and making it lighter.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘29er/650b+ frame, light, SS-compatible… does it exist?’ is closed to new replies.