Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 29er XC wheelset upgrade
  • toad
    Free Member

I’m thinking about upgrading the wheels on my 2014 Merida Big Nine CF XT Edition (Alex Rims / Sapim spokes / Shimano Deore hubs) to Hope Pro 2 Evo (or Pro 3 SP) Tech XC’s but wondered if anyone has experience of these or any suggestions for an alloy tubeless ready wheelset that’s light and fast for under £500?

monkeychild
    Free Member

I personally think it’s hard to look past the pro 2 arch ex setup for lightness and strength. I’ve been more than happy with mine.

IA

In the classic “recommend what you have” american classic MTB 29 tubeless. (not the terrains or AMs).

Lighter than the hopes, and IME more reliable. Had mine over 3 years and bar a new freehub recently still going strong.

Whatever you get, check your cassette, if it’s a cheap spiderless one they don’t like alu freehubs, save another chunk of weight with an XT (if it’s not already).

I’ve also got some dt swiss X1700s which are only a little heavier, and seem good and stiff. They’re brand new ones though and only had them 5 rides so no comment on reliability.

FWIW I’m 87Kg, and generally not light on wheels.

vondally
    Free Member

Crank brothers iodine have not exploded or collapsed on me yet since I got them last month, 500 odd miles not a far test but quite happy.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Pro 2 evo on Tech XC is our go to wheel upgrade for Big 9’s.
    I’ve been running them on my own for about a year now. They’re only about 20g heavier than crests, but I prefer running a rim with eyelets.

mccraque

+1 for Stans Arch’s on Pro Evo hubs.

2 years, 2000 miles. And they are still tight and true. I did smash the freehub though, but hope had me back on the trails within a week.

or if you don’t mind a bit of maintenance, Shimano XT. Wonderful rims. Marmite hubs.

taxi25
    Free Member

I bought some wheels from these people American classic,cxray and Ryde trace xc. Loads of combinations and prices to choose from. http://r2-bike.com/MTB-29-inch

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Got some Novatechs on Crests if you fancy?
    Maybe 4 rides old.
    Pre taped for tubeless.
    Come with valves and q/r skewers.
    Currently set up q/r but front does come with 15mm adaptors.
    142 adaptors can be bought for the rear.
    Wanting 250 posted.
    Email:singlespeedtothemax1@hotmail.co.uk
    Thanks ,
    Max

njee20
    Free Member

I personally think it’s hard to look past the pro 2 arch ex setup for lightness and strength. I’ve been more than happy with mine.

Except for not being at all light, I assume you mean?

why only alu? I’d have Pro 2 on Light Bicycle rims.

swanny853

I’ve been very impressed with American classic 101 rims- same width and weight as crests but play nice with more tyres and possibly (at least as much as it’s possible to tell) a bit stiffer. Maybe. Graphics are better though!

Consider DT 350 hubs too.

molgrips
    Free Member

How much do these wheelsets weigh? Mine are about 1800g, is that heavy?

toad
    Free Member

Thanks for all comments & advice received so far – Hope hoops still looking favourable but will check out American Classics as well.

Not heard of Light Bicycle though – are they some new carbon rim?

rsvktm

82kg and run 29er wheels in Hope with crests, Hope with archs and American classic race. The crests were my xc race wheels that got used for fast trail centre work as well, replaced this year by the American classics. Seen a big improvement in cornering, acceleration and climbing, 1450g for a set stiffer and lighter than the crests. My only concern is the rim sidewalls are thin and can be prone to denting.
    Have a look at the American Classic wide lighting as well.

bigjim

WTB KOM rims are very good unless you are meaning really lightweight. I think pedals in Edinburgh are going to be offering them hand built onto DT hubs. Wider than the arch or hope rims too. I’m just building a second set for a new bike

IA

Mine are about 1800g, is that heavy?

Yes.

1600g is light.

14-something and below is very light.

IMO

granny_ring

For a 29er, 1800g is heavy…….really?
    I would have said middling but not heavy,

scandal42
    Free Member

Mine are in the ‘Fking heavy category’

Still awesome

njee20
    Free Member

For a 29er, 1800g is heavy…….really?
    I would have said middling but not heavy,

On a carbon XC race bike I’d say yes, that is heavy.

Hope on Light Bicycle would be about 1500g at a guess. If they must be alu I’d have DT240 or American Classic on Crests. My AMC on LB rims are 1370g.

granny_ring

I stand corrected then!

eshershore
    Free Member

DT Swiss 350 hubs (the marginally heavier Taiwanese made version of the 240 with the same “guts”) and Alex rims – they do some fantastic, wide 450gm aluminium alloy 29’er rims at reasonable prices

Carax
    Free Member

Loving my Stans ZTR crest wheelset.
    1575 gms , had em two years with no problems at all. Reasonable price

cannondaleking
    Free Member

There’s a pair of white industry m16 hubbed wheels on ebay at mo I spotted going £175 with halo vapor rims would a good upgrade even if you brought them for the hubs the rrp on the rear is £299 now. They may not be the lightest but they should be bomb proof

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘29er XC wheelset upgrade’ is closed to new replies.