Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 29er XC Race Tyre
  • BIGMAN
    Free Member

Right I have been using Rocket Rons in Evo and also Snakeskin form and managed to puncture either tread or sidewall in both. The latest shredded tyre got me a DNF at the weekend.

What else is out there at the moment that may be slightly more robust.

I was looking at Maxxis Ikon in a 2.2 format.

Have I missed something worth considering?

cp

are you running tubes or tubeless?

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Tubeless.

I don’t know if I am just unlucky with Schwalbe or what.

LoCo
    Free Member

Geax Saguro? had issues with the rons myself.

ac282

I have found IKON’s to be very delicate even in the reinforced version.

I have had better luck with 2.25 snake skin Ralphs. Racing Ralphs are based on a heavier casing than rons so are a bit sturdier.

cp

I have bontrager 29-1 and they are very fragile.

My next tyre to try is a racing ralph as above, because they are a bit more sturdy in the carcass. The TL ready version.

njee20
    Free Member

Racing Ralphs are based on a heavier casing than rons so are a bit sturdier.

+1

mashiehood
    Free Member

I have been running Ron’s for two years and had one puncture. Agree the Racing Ralph has tougher casing, but its not as good as a Ron.

IA

I’m (tall) 87kg and have been spanking an ikon all over the shop (fancy 3c exo) up front, crossmark out back.

No problems, tubeless well and fast.

jonnyrockymountain

specialized fast tracks?

bruceandlauren
    Free Member

What about the Maxxis Ardent Race ?

weeksy

I liked the Maxxis Aspens myself. Light enough, strong enough, certainly fast enough.

Frankers
    Free Member

I really rate Geax Saguaro tyres, decent side walls and can be had at a lower price than Schwalbe.

I also really rate Racing Ralphs but definitely prefer Saguaro

HERE for £22

njee20
    Free Member

I have been running Ron’s for two years and had one puncture. Agree the Racing Ralph has tougher casing, but its not as good as a Ron.

Different. A Ralph has more aggressive tread on the shoulders, quicker tread pattern too, all other factors being equal.

Clink

Just be aware the TNT Geax are impossible to fit onto stand rims (in my experience!).

benji
    Free Member

If it’s dry try a thunder burt on the back and a rocket ron on the front, personally love that combo, works so well.

Frankers
    Free Member

Clink – Member
    Just be aware the TNT Geax are impossible to fit onto stand rims (in my experience!).

Yep, 26″ are fine but 29″ are nearly impossible to mount. Standard Geax folding go up well on Stans rims

njee20
    Free Member

If it’s dry try a thunder burt on the back and a rocket ron on the front, personally love that combo, works so well.

Not if you’re finding Rons fragile…

mboy
    Free Member

Maxxis Ikon’s are very good, but very expensive, and still relatively fragile.

Geax Saguaro’s are just awesome! Yes they’re heavier, but then they’re much tougher. They still roll really fast, grip incredibly well, and are a relative bargain.

I run a Saguaro on the back of my bike most of the time with a Geax Goma up front for a perfect all round 3 season trail tyre combo. Not stupidly light XC race weight tyres, but then again you can slam them into rocky descents and not worry about shredding them to pieces.

mboy
    Free Member

Oh and if buying Geax… If you’ve got Stans rims, definitely don’t buy the TNT version. The normal version is 50g lighter anyway, and is incredibly airtight already, but you can actually get it onto a Stans rim. The TNT version is awesome for those running UST rims or more “homebrew” tubeless conversions…

Clink

Oh and if buying Geax… If you’ve got Stans rims, definitely don’t buy the TNT version.

We already said that 😉

Wally

Another Geax Saguaro fan boy. Run mine front and back. Excellent rolling and grip.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

I am going to try some racing Ralph’s and see how those fair.

I did look at spec tyres but from all the reading I found they also suffer with sidewall issues.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Get one of the Maxxis Ardent Races. They’re great. I was racing the EWS with one on the rear, so put it through more than it would ever have in an XC race, and it was perfect. Rolled really fast and very good grip for such a fast tyre.

badgerboy
    Free Member

Geax mezcal is a cracker!

badgerboy
    Free Member

Geax mezcal is a cracker! Cheap as chips too!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘29er XC Race Tyre’ is closed to new replies.