Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 29er X 1.9", or 700 X 45-8c slick tyre
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Does anyone make such a tyre? I’d like something to fill my 50mm mudguards more effciently.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Looked at tyres yesterday, SB8s or Bonty XR1 (I think) are light & look fast rolling.

Really poor stock of 29er tyres about just now though.

As for 1.7 I got a Bonty Jones, not a semi-slick at all but 550gm.

thomthumb
    Free Member

scwalbe big apple.

nedrapier

Or Schwable Fat Franks. The 50 seems on the thin side to me, but I can measure them if you like? They come in black, brown and cream, if you like that sort of thing.

Identical to the big apple, but with slightly different tread.

TheBrick
    Free Member

scwalbe big apple.

Nice big fat semi slicks but £$£$$! I wish there were a few more options out there on the large volume semi slick 29er front. Schwable only do their marathon extremes up to 42 mm in 700c but 60 mm 2.35″ in 26″. Grrr!

uplink
    Free Member

Specialized Borough?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

thanks.
    Schwalbes would be nice, but they’re all probably too fat for my ‘guards!
    Spesh Borough at 700X42 seems the best option (I’ve got 700X35s at the moment and there’s quite a bit of clearance)

700X45 would be perfect…

nedrapier

TheBrick, didn’t know what you were on about until I did a quick google search – Blimey!

Fat Franks are about half as much. Don’t quite understand, as I’m fairly sure it was the schwable website which said the two were the same bar the tread. Maybe the big apples are hand-cut slicks!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

but JE James have the Borough on offer, so I’ll give them a go…

MrTall
    Free Member

I tried a few recently. I use Big Apples 2.35″ on my Fargo and the front of my 69er Hack Bike as i find them better than anything else out there for comfort (and surprisingly fast). I have also managed to bodge my full length mudguards around them as well – although the tolerance is close to say the least!

I tried a 29×2.0″ Big Apple folding (from CRC for £25) but it is nothing like the volume of the 2.35″ (i’d say around 50%) so wasn’t what i was after (and not 2″ wide either). I also ordered a Continental sport something or other in the biggest size i could get (700x52c non folding) but in reality it was 47mm at best and was disappointing again from a volume point of view. Both have been used for less than 5 miles and i’d happily offload them both for £20+ postage if you want them as they are just sat redundant in my garage?

I also have a set of Specialized Borough CX in 700x42c which are pretty good (especially as i got them for £4 each in the Edinburgh bike shop sale a year or two back!) and i think they can be had in a slightly larger size?

Edit: Damn my slow typing. As above then really!

nedrapier

Just got the ruler out. Fat Frank 50/2.0 is 45/46 tops.

I thought when I put them on that they were smaller than I’d expected. If I hadn’t already decided they were a bit on the heavy, slow accelerating, slow steering, toe interfering side, I might be a bit disappointed!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ooh, CRC have the Fat Franks in brown, on offer. That’d look gorgeous on my Singular, if I can get them to fit.

nedrapier

Post a pic when you’ve got em on! The cream ones look pretty good on mine. Plenty of clearance by the looks of things, but I don’t know how much the guards take up.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Fat Franks bought 🙂
    I might have to change my mind about selling the bike…

Sam

Mail me – I have a few options at bargain prices – Schwalbe Marathon Ultimates and Big apples.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cheers Sam, I’ll see how the Fat Franks fit and maybe get back to you.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Singular_brown by ir_bandito, on Flickr

Yay!
    Rear mudguard needa a bit of tweaking to get rid of the slight rub, but otherwaise, they’re great.
    Much smoother than the old 35c tyres I had on. and they look better too 🙂

ampthill

have you seen that on=one are doing the big applies for £20

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYSCBIAPKGF/schwalbe-big-apple-kevlar-guard-folding-tyre

ir_bandito
    Free Member

yeah, but Big Apples aren’t brown. 😉

(and the Fat Franks were cheaper)

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I dont think the 45c borough are really any where near 45mm

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘29er X 1.9", or 700 X 45-8c slick tyre’ is closed to new replies.