Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 29er Winter / mud/ wet tyres ? what you running guys?
  • weeksy

Struggling to work out what to buy for the Giant XTC 29er for winter. I’m running the Maxxis Aspen in summer/dry… but not a lot of tread.

Looked at the Rocket Rons… terrible reviews… even looked at the CST Critters on Ebay… but reviewed as terrible in wet…

So.. anything out there that doesn’t cost as much as a small sports-car to buy and works in the muddy stuff ?

convert

Bontrager Mud X – not the absolute best in the mud but added bonus of not being terrible at other times too so great for mixed routes.

tazzymtb

maxxis beaver is top banana for racey high speed fun, Mud x for general sloppy riding or go crazy and stick a pair of WTB stouts on and never lose traction again.

weeksy

Forgive me, but the TLR is for tubeless ready, can i still run on tubes and tube type rims ?

singlespeedstu

What tazz said.

Stouts for muddy, rocky, rooty shit.

Though i’ll be rocking this badlad on the front of one of my 29ers.

3.8 Nate by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

Nate,Nate,Nate. by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Nate innit.

weeksy

wow… lost for words on them pics…

WTF ?

Clink

The Aspen copes better than you would expect in mud – it clear so quickly. 2nd comment on the Stouts though, if you don’t mind the weight.

weeksy

The Aspens may be worth sticking with then, i have 2 spare new ones so could run perfect tread.

ds3000
    Free Member

I’ve got a really nice beaver on my rear that works very well when things become moist.

jfeb
    Free Member

Mud X here.

Stoner
    Free Member

Stouts on the front of the geared one, with ignitors on the back.

SS has RR on the front (for now, may go ignitor soon) and Stout on the back for traction. (The only tyre I know that has so much traction it actually lifts up the dirt and dumps it on the back of your calf like a paddlesteamer)

Stouts front and back would be like riding in your wellies 🙂

Clink

Stout on the front yep – but back? Mud x better on the rear.
    Anyone used N Nics in winter? Currently fitted and look like they will be ok?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

You could try the spesh ground control for an all round tubeless ready tyre, Iv’e not ridden in any real muddy stuff yet so I’m not saying they will work for you, but they have a fairly open tread & weigh in at only 600g.
    HTH.

tazzymtb

Nics are fine in winter tbh my rons are ok to unless you ride in really claggy mud

Stoner
    Free Member

stout on rear is like a paddle shoving you up hill when honking.
    Probably wouldnt bother with it on a sittingdown geared bike though.

Either way the road noise from the stouts is testimony to their grip 🙂

Anyway, if I get the chance to grab some mudx on the cheap, I’ll have a go on your rec, clink.

pete68
    Free Member

As you, I’ve run Aspens all summer but the mud x are about to go back on. As has been said grippy but not too draggy.

weeksy

http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/bontrager-mud-x–tyre/7285

£23.99 from here.

well… it would be if you wanted it in a 26″

🙁

Stoopid stoopid boy 🙁

Tasso
    Free Member

Mud X 29 up front and a pert mud x 26 out back on my 69er.

Not the largest volume or best clag traction but very good do it all for over the winter.

In comparison I’d usually run Schwalbe Black Shark Mud X on the 26 inch bikes but they can get sketchy on wet tarmac/rocks/roots in comparison. Reign supreme in the sloppy stuff though.

shortcut

Ardent front, Ignitor rear

Nevegal front, mud x rear

And Nevegal front and a 26x 2.3 ignitor rear!

ASC
    Free Member

Mud X rear, 2.35 Rampage up front, heavy but corners well.
    Pythons coming off today, not stopped raining!

Ringo
    Free Member

On my one bike I got a Nate on front was **** great in the mud and rocks and just about everthing else, on my other I got a nevegal up front and a beaver out back, the beaver is really good I won’t go back to mud x

tang
    Free Member

Mudx are great, but last year I left the nics on and they faired fine through the glop. Didn’t come off ’till the summer.

nsaints
    Free Member

I ran some WTB ExiWolf’s last year and they were great even in the wettest of slop. Ran the same on my Swift on Tuesday night and they were not so great!!?
    If they’re rubbish tonight I’ll be going for some Mud-X

Anyone intresteted in a couple of 29er folding Ardent’s?

funso
    Free Member

weeksy appologies for jumping in on your thread but whats your verdict on XTC 29er? my fingers been hovering over the buy button for a few days, i was going to buy the 2011 last year but went for an Anthem X instead when the price was hiked. Cheers.

jobro
    Free Member

Mud X 29 up front and a pert mud x 26 out back on my 69er.

Not the largest volume or best clag traction but very good do it all for over the winter.

In comparison I’d usually run Schwalbe Black Shark Mud X on the 26 inch bikes but they can get sketchy on wet tarmac/rocks/roots in comparison. Reign supreme in the sloppy stuff though.
    My choice exactly. In fact I don’t take the Mud X’s off all year now and they cope with everything I throw at them.

OCB
    Free Member

Bonty XR3’s are working fine for me.
    Not sure they’ll have an especially long life span tho’ …

weeksy

weeksy appologies for jumping in on your thread but whats your verdict on XTC 29er? my fingers been hovering over the buy button for a few days, i was going to buy the 2011 last year but went for an Anthem X instead when the price was hiked. Cheers

I love it mate… it’s excellent.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘29er Winter / mud/ wet tyres ? what you running guys?’ is closed to new replies.