Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 29er wheelset choices-advice/recommendations
  • andysmiff1
    Free Member

So, converted fully to 29ers earlier this year – 100mm hard tail and full-sus (120mm)

Going to treat myself to some new wheels for a birthday present – but can’t decide which way to go.

Ideally want something convertible – hard tail is 135mm regular QR rear, FS is 142×12 thru axle. Fronts are 15mm on both. Thinking of something I can put on both bike to replace stock wheels.

Thinking Hope Hoops but can’t decide on rims – never had Stan’s rims before, alway run Mavic before. Last fancy wheels I bought were 26″ crossmax

Will want to run tubeless on them, happy with my specialized tyre choice.

Ridding is general trail type stuff, nothing massively hardcore, few trail centre trips a year. I’m 12 1/2 stone with kit.

What would you go for?!

jimw
    Free Member

Budget?

I have a set of Crossmax ST 29er, can’t fault them- light enough, very stiff and the new freehub a significant improvement over old system but they are nearly twice the price of hope ProII with Stans. I have a set built by merlin with Arch EX and they are 180gms heavier, mostly in the rim is how it feels when on the bike, have more bearing seal drag and are more flexible laterally. If you go for Crests they are lighter but will still have drag/flex compared to St’s?

Edit:

ST’s can be converted from 135 to 142 on rear with adaptors provided, 20mm or 15mm at front.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Budget is relatively wide – enough for crossmax’s (at a push!!)

Good to hear that you have tried both.

Was thinking arch ex on pro 2’s rather than crests – weight difference is minimal for the strength difference between them.

Crossmax added to the list!

chopchop
    Free Member

Arch or flow on hope hubs are 270 from progressivebikes. I run the flows myself and can’t fault them. Easy to set up for tubeless, can be converted to any fitment and a great weight/cost ratio.

andyt28
    Free Member

I am selling a new and unused Specialized Roval 29 wheelset if interested , full details under the for sale section, I am open to offers

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have a pair of American Classic All Mountain 29ers which have to be up there with the best of them, certainly better than anything Hope has to offer.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer but think I’ll pass on the rovals.

Thinking hope hoops due to the hub versatility and support. Would you go hope hoops or a custom build?

Thinking arch EX might be the best rim to go off for all round use?

ianfitz
    Free Member

If you are going the hope route then hoops are the way to go.

Can’t be beaten in price compared to custom build

I’ve hot two sets. Both been absurd beyond what they were designed for and been trouble free all round.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘29er wheelset choices-advice/recommendations’ is closed to new replies.