• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 29er wheels – which ones?
  • daveb
    Free Member

I am looking to get a set of 29er wheels. These are for an Anthem x 29er and i was thinking Crests on Stan 3.30 hubs. I will mainly be using the bike in events such as MTB Marathons, 10s that sort of thing.

Budget max is £500

Anyone got experience of this setup, any other suggestions before I place the order?

AlasdairMc

Not got experience of them, but I’ve got Pro2s on Crests on my El Mariachi. Very light and very fast – I paid £270. Let me know if you fancy a spin on it.

shortcut

Crossmax ST may be a goer with some favourite LBS bartering, or Hope Hoops with Crests seems to be the fave around these parts.

IA

I’ve got some american classic wheels, not too pricey, similar weight but the rims are deeper section/stiffer than crests.

Been holding up well to my 87kg-odd for a year on the spanky XC bike.

jobro
    Free Member

+1 for American Classic.They are very light for the money and reliable. I’ve got the race version and they have been without fault for a year on the Air 9, and I’m running the frame with the rigid fork so they do get pretty bashed (Exmoor,Dartmoor, Quantocks)

simondbarnes

My next set of wheels will be A2Z hubs, BOR XMD 333 rims, Sapim CX-ray spokes. Had a very similar setup on my cross bike but with BOR XMD 309 tub rims and been very impressed with them.

limkilde
    Free Member

The crest rims are a bit soft and flexi, I would go for the Hope Pro Evo2 SP hub with Arch rims.

daveb
    Free Member

Alasdair – might give you a shout over the next week or so. Where did you get them for that price?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve just put Crests on Hope Pro II Evo straight pulls on my new Anthem X1 29’er.

Great wheels, you’ll loose 800g’s over the stock setup if you go tubeless too.

I’m 80kgs and the wheels have been fine on my HT 29’ers for over a year

weeksy

steve_b77 – Member
    I’ve just put Crests on Hope Pro II Evo straight pulls on my new Anthem X1 29’er.

Great wheels, you’ll loose 800g’s over the stock setup if you go tubeless too.

I’m 80kgs and the wheels have been fine on my HT 29’ers for over a year

It is remarkable just how much you can feel the difference in weight between ‘standard’ and Pro II evo’s…. even just lifting them and moving them about etc.

I admit i still run the Giant PXC-2 wheels as my trailcentre/mud wheels, only having the Pro II’s as my fast/dry wheels. But one day i hope to take the Pro II’s out in proper stuff 🙂

si-wilson
    Free Member
    daveb
    Free Member

Having had a search about the crossmax st look good but I am wondering if they would be much better than the crest for a lot more money. ??

jimw
    Free Member

I have a set of Crossmax ST 29’s, I also have used a set of Pro II’s with Arch EX on the same bike. I can say that the Mavics have transformed the handling- they are noticeably stiffer, both laterally and in drive from the rear and have a lower rotational inertia that is very obvious. If you can stretch to the Mavics that’s what I would go for. I would also add that the bearing drag is lower and the freehub picks up more quickly

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘29er wheels – which ones?’ is closed to new replies.