• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gee.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 29er wheels Halo vapour or kinesis maxlight ?
  • peasant
    Free Member

I am just building up a 29er and have been looking at these wheels does anyone have any feedback on these ? thanks in advance

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have the maxlights. The first front wheel failed at the sleeve join and it looks like the bonding was a little short on adhesive. In any event, they warrantied it and the replacement has been fine since.

I find them light, stiff and pretty tough, but they are not hammer time wheels, they’re trail wheels they can do a bit of air time that you might get up to trail riding.

I’ve been having fun destroying racing ralphs this year, with some instant cuts and resulting dings to the rims. Considering that, they’ve held up pretty well.

As with most pre-built wheels, none of the bearings had enough grease in to handle a british winter riding season.Its a toothed, 4 pawl system that took a little time to wear in, and the free-hub body design is nice – pawls are captive in the hub shell, which allows space in the freehub body for a bearing to sit immediately under the pawls/ratchet engagement.

My only criticism is aluminium nipples, which aren’t a problem unless you ding the wheels – I had to replace them on the rear wheel because I caouldn’t true it straight with semi-corroded alu ones.

I’d happily have another set, but since I occasionally build my own wheels, I feel my next set will involve large flange hubs and carbon rims built at home.

earlanderson
    Free Member

I have the vapours. A very good wheelset . I can’t give you the technical breakdown that science officer has. But they are pretty light and very stiff. I run them tubeless and have has no problems. They’ve had many a wet muddy hammering and have performed well. I’ve used rear as geared and on my single speed. Both with no problems. The rear has a fairly loud click like hopes but I like that. Hope that helps a bit.

gee
    Free Member

The vapours are a great rim. They go up tubeless easily too. Rode a set on my rigid winter bike for a year, perfectly straight. Now have a set of their new carbon Vapours which are very very pretty…

GB

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘29er wheels Halo vapour or kinesis maxlight ?’ is closed to new replies.