Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 29er wheels for about £400.
  • drifterjoe5
    Free Member

Looking to get some strongish xc wheels for my ridgid 29er I ride half the time singlespeed.

Was looking at hope pro 4 tech xc wheelset but think I’d benefit from something with a wider rim diameter as I ride rigid. Dont want to go as heavy as the enduro rims if possible. Crests probably a bit too flexy. Perhaps mavic crossmax elite or last year’s crossmax xl for something a bit tougher but a tad heavier.

Do you guys think a wider rim is the way to go never had anything wider than 19mm so I have no experience but I’m keen to stick with hope as I like their hubs and I like to buy uk if possible.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve the Hope Pro2 XC wheels on my hardtail and they’ve been good and true for 5000Km over the last couple of years. I run Bonty XR4 2.35 up front, XR3 2.2 rear. I weigh 83Kg so not the lightest chap about 😳 I ride mostly old style XC, rarely at trail centres but did a week in the alps last year and I’d no complaint about the wheels.

dknwhy

I’ve got the hope 4 tech xc wheelset. I like them.
    Rims are narrow but mine are on an xc 29er so I’m limited on rear tyre width anyway…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I ride Crests (well Rapide’s which are basically MK1 crests), I’m 100kg and can’t make them flex in a bad way (they feel softer, but not to the detriment of handling or anything).

Crest’s on hope (under budget, especially if you build them yourself with the current sale prices on stans rims).

Or you could probably even stretch to LB carbon rims, or if not ICAN or Nextie are IIRC cheaper.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The new wider Stans rims are due out at some point.

On another note I’ve got DT XR331’s on my new bike and they’re very nice indeed

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Not sure if the arch ex would be too heavy/big but I was looking about a few days ago and this was the best I found for stans/pro4 combo

Clee cycles

drifterjoe5
    Free Member

I ride Crests (well Rapide’s which are basically MK1 crests), I’m 100kg and can’t make them flex in a bad way (they feel softer, but not to the detriment of handling or anything).

29er????

I’m only 75kg But when riding SS I’m out the saddle climbing which can make flex more an issue I think. Never ridden a set of crests so not sure now perhaps I’d be fine??

br
    Free Member

I recently bought a 29er, but without wheels.

Initial I got a set built with some cheap Flow’s from Merlin, existing Hope evo hubs and DT spokes by a local chap – 2kg all in and cost me £160.

Then I managed to get a set of s/h Roval Fattie’s off here, £310 and they were totally unused – 29mm internal and 1.8kg all in including rim strips.

While Crests were fine in the south, now north of the Border they just aren’t up to rocks/roots – I’ve managed to knacker all the rims on my 2 sets of Crests, and this was on 26.

drifterjoe5
    Free Member

What about crossmax xl at 1800g ish they could be a bomb proof option? Anyone used them for cross country??

Will I really feel the benefits of a wider rim? As this is the only negative of the hope tech xc as everything else fits the bill?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

29er????

I’m only 75kg But when riding SS I’m out the saddle climbing which can make flex more an issue I think. Never ridden a set of crests so not sure now perhaps I’d be fine??

29er, and SS.

They’re not the stiffest, but they’re not a problem IME. And I’m usually quite finicky about stiffness. And I’m happy with airtime, I’ve landed hard enough to rip the QR out of the dropout without the wheel going out of true too.

I’d maybe not recommend them for someone 100kg+, I’m definitely not their target market, but they came on a bike and have been fine enough not to warrent replacement.

jonnyrockymountain

I have some hope pro 2 hubs with stans flow ex rims for sale?
    Good condition, bearings fine and rims true with no dents, wide rims so good tyre profile, reasonable weight,set up for tubeless with tape and valves, wanting £175 posted, if any good drop me a mail and I’ll forward you pics?
    jonathantraverse@hotmail.co.uk

chakaping
    Free Member

What about crossmax xl at 1800g ish they could be a bomb proof option?

If you can get them for £400, I think you’d struggle to beat them for price/weight/stiffness. Very nice ride feel too.

drifterjoe5
    Free Member

Cheers Jonny sound like a bargain but I’m after something a bit lighter if possible.

Just been looking at American classic 101’s on hope pro 4’s. Crests could still be the way to go I’m not into any big drops etc.

khani
    Free Member

Got some Crossmax ST’s that are good, same weight as Crest/Pro2’s but stiffer and ride lovely, and the UST rims are super easy to go tubeless, not super wide at 19mm but I don’t run any bigger than 2.3 tyres tyres anyway,
    Might find some close to your budget if you look around,

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hmm,
    Mite have some Reynolds carbon 29er’s going spare.
    A lot more rigid than my Crests.
    Stans Flow width but obviously lighter.
    Approx 1600 grams.
    Tubeless ready,all relevant adaptors for most wheels.
    Could probably sell them for 400 posted?
    singlespeedtothemax1@hotmail.co.uk
    For photos and info.
    Max

fatmax

I’m looking for the same thing (I’m 90kg, going on a rigid Singular Swift) and I was going to go Hope Hoops XC Evo 4.

milfordvet
    Free Member

I have a rigid Swift. Cream version. Like to ride fast XC but like the grip, float and role from 2.4 X kings in the New Frest. Riding rigid a bigger tyre is good for grip and float(momentum) it seems. Plus the Swift frame can take a 2.4 easy. Been looking for new wheels too.

1. The new Crests are wider. Thats proably the bullseye for you.

2. Alternatively, if your running more than 2.25’s i reckon wtb kom i25’s are about where its at if you want 25 internal. Conti protections click right in to the ust rim design.

3. CRC do kom i25 or crest wheelsets. Put in custom shimano or hope front or rear wheel into their search. On a swift with QR you can use Shimano hubs. Really Deore hubs are very good. Super low friction. Whenever i ride cup and cone hubs it always feels faster to me, without all the bearing seals. Easy maintenance and larger bearings than xt and one less seal to slow you down. A set is about 180 from crc with db spokes in silver with kom or crests.

4. For a factory built wheelset, crests on ztr ss hubs are available from winstanleys for 300 or the american classic all mountain wheelsets for the same. Je james has giant trx wheelsets for 250 which have dt internals hubs on a scandium rim with sp bladed spokes. 28h though So would be harder to rebuild with less rim choice..

If you want pro4, the new wider crests sbould be possible for 400. Merlin build good wheels. They do the Easton arc rims as well.

eshershore
    Free Member

DT 350s on Roval Traverse for my 29’er, hand built with DT Swiss Revolution black spokes and brass nipples = fantastic wheels

Take a pounding, nice and light, hubs just run and run, super easy tubeless setup with blue tape/valves, Stan’s sealant and Specialized Control 2-bliss tires

I should point out the Roval rims are not available aftermarket, if I wanted new rims I’d get Easton ARC which look very similar to the Traverse – the Roval rims come out of the Alex rims factory, perhaps the ARC do too?

krixmeister

Why not Light Bicycle wheels? I went from Stans to theirs 3-4 years ago, and haven’t looked back.

gfrew88
    Free Member

I have a set of crissmax XL for sale for £250
    11 months old
    Rear hum just been fully serviced

mboy
    Free Member

Got Crossmax XL’s on my HT right now. Have had bad experiences with previous Mavic wheelsets, but really can’t fault these at all. They will take a real pounding too, I’m about 82kg but not a light rider. I wouldn’t consider Crests as I’d destroy them in a ride, even Arches I’d worry about.

If going handbuilt then consider DT Swiss and Easton ARC rims as opposed to Stans too (though the new Stans rims due in a few weeks look interesting) for wider profiles and sensible weights. Depending on the width of the tyres you run, I believe there’s definitely a sweet spot these days for rim width. 19mm internal is becoming the norm on many road bike wheelsets now, where they run 25mm tyres not 2.25″ rubber. I’d say that for 2.2-2.3″ rubber anywhere from about 23-27mm internal is about the sweet spot, which is where most of the new breed of trail rims seem to come in at…

FWIW my CX bike, a Whyte Saxon Cross, came with Easton ARC24’s on, with 35mm rubber! Almost gives it the “Euro” look… 😆

crashrash

Reckon the hope hubs and flows are hard to beat. Plenty quick and bomb proof plus weight wise mine come in at 1835g the pair with rim tape. All Built up by Dave Fletcher at Velosmith (Plymouth) for under £400. Bit of extra width which I really like.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘29er wheels for about £400.’ is closed to new replies.