Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 29er wheels – American Classic MTB vs Superstar XC Carbon – 1×11 suppoer
  • jonke
    Free Member

Interested in peoples opinions and experiences.

Thinking about building up a lightish XC/trail 29er.

Also would like to be able to build with 1×11 SRAM X01. Do these wheels support this?

Thanks for any help/advice!

IA

I’ve got a pair of American classics, not the expensive (well, they’re all expensive, but you know what I mean) ones, and not the cheap “terrains”

Excellent, light, tubeless well, stiff, and have proved to be strong and reliable over 2 years use. I’m 87kg and they’re on a fairly spanky XC hardtail.

No idea about 1×11 compatibility, on the light bike 1×9 gets me up everything, and singlespeed it for winter 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got AM Classic hubs (bought from AE Bike in the US) on Light Bicycle hookless 29er rims. Very impressed, 1370g with 15mm thru-axle front and 142×12 rear with XD body. Hubs were very reasonably priced, would definitely recommend.

jonke
    Free Member

Anyone tried the superstars?

frogstomp

+1 for the American Classics – have them built up on 2 sets of wheels, one with XX1.

I don’t think the Superstar hubs have an XX1-compatible XD body yet..

jonke
    Free Member

thanks – it says on their website you can get with an xx1 freehub body…

njee20
    Free Member

The Tesla Evo appears to be available with an XD body. Seems to be over £800 by the time you’ve used their carbon rims and what not though. Not sure why you’d not go direct and use LB or similar?

jonke
    Free Member

LB?

johnnystorm

Light Bicycle

xc-steve
    Free Member

Where abouts you based I’ve some ‘old’ last years wheels which are AC’s was going to keep them for a personal project but could go do a good home in the price is right/your in my area…. (I’m plymouth) but racing in Wales this weekend…

With regards to them being 11 speed my current AC wheels on this years bike are 11 speed some I’m assuming you can just swap the free hub out. Give me an email if your interested. Stephen(at)hodgemail.co.uk

njee20
    Free Member

Bear in mind an American Classic XD freehub body is c£80, and the whole hub is only £136 here.

chriswilk
    Free Member

I suggest looking at justridingalong.com, really good guys, sheffield based and experts in nice wheels.

njee20
    Free Member

Again though, they don’t list AMC hubs with an XD body – worth a call as they may be able to supply like that, but if not that’s another £80 on top of the build, and you’ll still come out damned expensive for any carbon rims.

Edit: but they do do Duke Lucky Jack rims, which are claimed lighter than any of the Chinese manufacturers, or indeed the likes of Enve.

DanW
    Free Member

AC with XX1 here and really recommend it. I had the hubs before going to XX1 so had an expensive freehub “upgrade”. The freehub is super easy to swap but for the sake of saving money, definitely get the XX1 ready hub if you can. I think JRA should be able to provide this. LB rims and revs seems like the most sensible option. JRA have a far better reputation than SS which would also factor in to my decision making. SS hubs also didn’t have the best reputation for freehub or bearing life although they may well have improved lately.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘29er wheels – American Classic MTB vs Superstar XC Carbon – 1×11 suppoer’ is closed to new replies.