Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 29er + wheel sets and compatibility
  • Tomahawk
    Free Member

I’m looking at investing in a 29+ wheel set to fit to the Ridgeline for a trip to Helvellyn (see previous post for those interested). I am currently running maxxis Ikon 2.3’s on Crank Bros iodines’ which have been great upto now and have taken everything I’ve thrown at them in their stride.

Is it possible to run a 29+ wheel set on a standard fork? Or should I really be looking at 27.5+? The same question applies… Compatibility with a normal fork? I’ve got oodles of clearance in the rear so it shouldn’t be an issue there.

Any recommendations or particular products that work well?

MussEd
    Free Member

I’ve no idea if the ridgeline frame would take a 29x3inch tyre but I do know that not many suspension forks will without getting the Dremel out to create enough clearance….I’d say you may have to look at 27+ But all that palaver with new ‘standard’ boost hubs is confusing, so do your research before spending any money.

takisawa2

29+ up front, 27.5+ rear should go straight on.
    Really enjoying it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tomahawk
    Free Member

Soooooo…

A little while on and after much deliberation, what is the verdict on the swap from a 23mm internal rim with a 2.35 maxxis to a 30mm internal 2.8/3.0 combo?

Tomahawk
    Free Member

I need to know the truth. And that it’s worth the punt!

takisawa2

Too narrow at 30mm to get the best from them IMO.
    Fills out much better on 45mm.
    Ride wise, not noticed much change on the back, going from 23mm to 45mm, but I reckon you would on the front, as tyre squirms more at low psi.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘29er + wheel sets and compatibility’ is closed to new replies.