• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Matt.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 29er Wheel set
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

I have up to £300 to spend on a new wheel set. It’s for my El Mariachi which I use for long distance XC slogs as well as rocky and trail centre stuff (Peak District, North Wales & Cannock type stuff).

I’ve seen the XT wheels at Merlin and the Hope/Stans at Wiggle are there any others I should be contemplating at? (not Superstar as I want them to work 😉 )

I’m around 72Kg (prob less) fully loaded.

Cheers

ratherbeintobago

Think the default setting is Hope Hoops. Am a bit wary of the Shimano wheels as 24 spokes just doesn’t strike me as enough…

boxelder

Nothing but good things to say about two pairs of Hope Pro2/Crest I have…….except that I wish one rear wheel was on an Arch EX rim (as at 90kg, I’ve slightly dinged both rears on rocks)

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d be tempted by some Chinese wide carbon wheels.

boxelder

Mate of mine cracked his Chinese wide carbon rim in a couple of weeks.
    Maybe unlucky.

shermer75
    Free Member

Also happy with my hope/crest combo.

akasteve
    Free Member

Me not happy with my Arch Ex/ Hope hub wheelset. Flexy, loose spokes. No better than the OO Reet ‘Ards they replaced.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Looks like Hope Hoops are the most obvious choice.

_daveR
    Free Member

You can’t really do a set of LB carbons for £300. The rims will be around £240-250 landed in the UK.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Spank Oozy Evo

Conan257
    Free Member

Hope Hoops sound the best, you know it’s the right choice!

Especially at a special beat down price!

chief9000
    Free Member

I suspect that there are hundreds of great deals to be had for 29 wheels now they are practically obsolete.

chief9000
    Free Member

not helpful I know…. but I just couldn’t resist 😆

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Can you get Crest rims on Hope Pro2s for under £300 ?

perthmtb
    Free Member

Very happy with my XT 29er wheels. Proper UST too, so none of that faff using a compressor, tape, goo, burping etc. – can even seat them with my mini-pump!

Spare spokes are expensive tho’ about five quid each, and the freehubs have a reputation for failing…

nedrapier

what you could do, if you had the inclination, is to buy Roger Musson’s wheelpro book (£9), A2Z hubs (£135), Crests (£90) and DT spokes of your choice (£25), build them up and if you like, take them into a bike shop near you that’s good at wheels and get them check true and tension (£30)

Total = £289. costs are 2 minute google finds, total for both ends. not inc the wheel jig. (you can use the bike if you’re pushed)

Matt
    Free Member

I use Hope hoops, Stans Flow EX rims! They’re ace, they replaced the stock wheels on my SC Highball and despite hard use for 6 months they have remained true. They’re very stiff and a reasonable weight.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘29er Wheel set’ is closed to new replies.