Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 29er wheel options
  • roach

I’m in the market for a set of tough 29er wheels preferably not too weighty. On my shortlist are

Hope Hoops Enduro
    Hope hoops Arch Ex
    Kinesis IX 29er

Any advice on the above?

Also should I be looking at straightpull spokes as I’m not too light at 15.5 st?

AlasdairMc

Hope Hoops are a good bet – I’ve got a set of Crests and the front runs perfectly true after two years, the back needs a bit of work. Bearings are still perfect. Stans for tubeless is brilliant too, I’ve never had any issues with their setup.

My experience of straight pull, at least with road Mavics and Eastons, is that they’re a PITA to true.

nickc

Can’t really go wrong with hope and Arch.

Straight pull are a bit of solution looking for a problem IMO. just make sure it’s built by some-one who knows what they’re doing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mco1
    Free Member

You could buy mine for £300!

SRAM ROAM 50’s with tubeless tyres…

swanny853

Long term user of hopes and stans arches and they are good!

As an alternative- if you want a little bit tougher the wtb freq i23 rim weighs a bit more than an arch ex but is wider and somewhat more heavy duty. Got a set on the rougher duty bike and they haven’t seen a spoke key yet despite some fairly careless riding at antur and now. I find them nicer to tubeless than stans too.

If you wanted wide but not too heavy the wtb kom i25s weigh more or less the same as the arch but quite a bit wider. No experience of them but seriously considering them next time I need new wheels

mccraque

+1 for Arch on Hope. 2.5k on mine and they’re still true, despite me being 90kg and not particularly graceful on the trails. I did destroy the rear hub though, but Hope replaced FOC within a couple of days. Great service from them.

roach

Thanks mco1 but looking to get from lbs for the support.

Thanks for the other suggestions. Anybody know a good wheelbuilder local to Afan, south wales area?

I’m quite tempted by the Hope Enduro now though as they are 10% off locally so just over £300.

sundaytrucker
    Free Member

I am in a similar boat looking for 29″ wheels around the the £300ish mark. For a while I was set on the Maxlight wheels but will be looking for deals on Hope Pro 2 hubs with a undecided rim, I had been looking at WTB i23 so it is good to hear some positive feedback regarding them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘29er wheel options’ is closed to new replies.