Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 29er tyres for the alps
  • crispy1980
    Free Member

Hi all, I’m off to les gets in June. I have a specialized enduro which currently has a spesh butcher on the front and a wtb trailboss on the rear. I’m thinking ill probably need a tougher set up, any recommendations??

Tracey

Been using Butcher front/ Purgatory rear in the Alps since Specialized introduced them. Never had a problem

Northwind

If you want full dh tyres it seems to come mostly down to the Minion 2.5s- and they’re very good. Heavy, of course, though not as heavy as a normal wire bead dualply. Tubeless ready, too.

Depends how much pedalling you expect to do though. We’re off to Molini this year and I might go for something a bit less full on.

mboy
    Free Member

Minion DHF 2.5″ up front, probably a DHR2 2.3″ out back.

tymbian
    Free Member

went last year to Morzine Les Gets etc.. MM front took the Ardent off of the back as it squirmed hitting the berms hard and put a Shorty on the back as it was what I had with me. Take spares as nowhere sells 29er tyres ( other than NN )

warns74
    Free Member

Had HR2s Exo casing front and rear on my Stumpjumper 29. They’ve done a week in the Alps and 2 weeks in (very rocky) Spain without any issues.

trusty

Schwable supergravity tyres have been tough enough for me in the alps, and can be pedalled if needed!

chakaping
    Free Member

If the Trail Boss is the tough casing version, it’ll be fine out there.

crispy1980
    Free Member

I think it is, I’m hoping to do some of the other stuff as well as the bike Park/ downhill stuff so pedalling will be required. Think I may leave the combo on then and take spares in case, see how I get on

chakaping
    Free Member

Definitely worth taking a spare mud-friendly tyre for the front.

Can be mucky out there.

BillOddie

Ran Minion DHF 2.5″ up front and On-One Smorgasbord in the back at Tignes last year.

This was on a Chromag Rootdown hardtail, this was lift accessed trail riding rather than DH laps though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘29er tyres for the alps’ is closed to new replies.