Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 29er tyres for rigid
  • RoganJosh
    Free Member

Recommendations please? High volume, puncture resistant (I live in lakes), reasonably fast rolling and light, I know you don’t necessarily get all 4 but you know what I’m after!

I don’t like conti tyres, so Schwalbe or maxxis I think, I use hans dampf and ardents on my FS.

How about Ardent 2.4 front and 2.2 rear? Or should I consider nobby nics?

Thanks

JRTG
    Free Member

Not very helpful but have a look at those fat bontrager ones (can’t remeber what they are called!). Totally agree about the Conti ones, have 2.4 xkings on mine and unless bone dry, they are useless. They will be heading to the bin very soon …

Swayndo
    Free Member

I’m doing all my riding ATM on a rigid steel 96er with Chunky Monkeys. Not light but then I’m not racing. Great in every other way.

fenred
    Free Member

Not very helpful but have a look at those fat bontrager ones (can’t remeber what they are called!). Totally agree about the Conti ones, have 2.4 xkings on mine and unless bone dry, they are useless. They will be heading to the bin very soon …

Really? I’d contest the ‘unless bone dry they’re useless’ comment, I rode Xking F and Kenda karma R all last winter in clay based slop on my rigid SS, never got round to switching to winter tyres and slid around a lot but I made it through…prob did a lot for my handling skills in the long run. Not willy waving, just saying tyre selection isn’t the be all and end all 😉

KevinPP
    Free Member

Riding Bonty 29-2 now and run 29-3’s in the winter. Seems to me it’s more down to the pressure you run in your tyres (front especially, obviously) when rigid. I have run mine as low as 15-16psi, but they seem to grip and feel better and still offer a small amount of added softness somewhere in the 20’s (psi).

nikk
    Free Member

I think Continental are their own worst enemies with this, due to them producing the cheepo rubbish versions and calling them the same thing as the expensive German versions.

FWIW, expensive German black chilli versions seem fine to me. And as far as other reviews go, they say the same thing.

Trouble with this kinda thing is, if you look for forum tyre reviews, you will always find someone rubbishing any brand tyre, saying it will kill you as soon as it gets wet. Probably because they had an off or a bad day and are blaming it on the tyre. Or chose the wrong type of tyre for the riding they are doing / their expectations being to high.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I used Ardents on my rigid niner for lakes riding, never had a problem.

Not great in the mud but that’s hardly an issue round here.

fenred
    Free Member

Well articulated nikk!

bigdean

Got on one tyres on the single speed and ardents on the geared both rigid 29ers. The ardents are faster and lighter but soon get out of their depth in the mud. The on one have been great so far and under £30 for the pair.

Nipper99
    Free Member

2.35 nobby nic on the front with a 2.2 conti race king on the back which does for me.

benji
    Free Member

I’m running 2.1 rocket rons, but i’m a lightweight, and if I’m not on that I’m on my cyclocross bike so used to trying to ride light and smooth through anything that could be a problem.

letmetalktomark

Surely rim with and maximum tyre width restrictions need to be taken into account 😕

I can run a maximum of a 2.25” tyre on my DT X470s but easily a 2.4” at lowish pressure on my Flows.

Wider rims do tend to get the most from fatter tyres.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘29er tyres for rigid’ is closed to new replies.