Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 29er tyres for mixed riding
  • karnali
    Free Member

Due to arthritis in hip at present the only bike I can ride is the 29er with the front end raised as high as I can get it to get the position as upright as possible and the majority or my riding is pootling on the road just to try and keep doing something.

Now living in the north lakes there are still lots of bridle ways and forest trails etc that I can build into rides but at present my choices are 2.4 an kings or 28mm road tyres. What would be a good tyre for the type of riding and also the odd bit of mtbing the the kids, so not mega draggy on roads or too fast wearing, but enough grip for forest, easy mtb and broken roads landrover tracks etc

many thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Maxxis ardent or similar?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Landcruiser
    Marathon Cross
    Gravelking (and SK variant)
    G-One
    etc.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I use 29 * 2.2 Continental X-kings for similar type of riding and they feel fast enough on the road.

Also noticed these at Rutland:
    https://www.rutlandcycling.com/104599/products/specialized-renegade-control-2bliss-29×1-95-tubeless-mtb-tyre.aspx

fifeandy
    Free Member

I use 29 * 2.2 Continental X-kings for similar type of riding and they feel fast enough on the road.

+1
    Xkings are fast – really fast – and grip pretty well on most surfaces for XC riding. I got around 2000mi of mixed (road, forest road, trail centre) riding out of a rear.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of pairs of tyres mate, purgatory and ground control and also Nano and Bronson. Cracking pairings £25 a pair each posted if you want them?

sideshow
    Free Member

Really? I find racing ralph to be faster than x king and just as grippy

Shame schwalbes are made of cheese but there must be faster options than x king. Semi slick e.g. speed king? my spesh slaughter is also faster than x king which means a minion ss probably is too, and both of those are sturdy tyres as well.

faustus

Maxxis Crossmarks are good on road and serviceable in the dry off road.

kazafaza
    Free Member

I’ve found Schwalbe Smart Sam to be a really good all-rounders. Centre thread helps with rolling and side knobs add to the grip when terrain turns bumpy. You can get them in variety of sizes and with decent level of puncture protection as well!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘29er tyres for mixed riding’ is closed to new replies.