Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 29er Tyres
  • glen815
    Free Member

Due to the limited choice of Maxxis rubber for 29ers I’m now considering other brands.
    What are your tyre choices / thoughts for AM use in very dry conditions ( I ride in Israel – hardpack, soft sand, rocks and lots of thorns).
    VMT
    The tyres will be run tubeless on Stans Flow EX rims.

miranmtb
    Free Member

Trail 29er tires i have ridden/tested:
    * On One Chunky Monkey 2.4/Smogasboard 2.25 are maxxis made tyres have good grip and are sturdy. Great for the money. The downer is they are havier than similar Ardents.
    * Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 are very good all round tires, light for the volume and sidewall protection.
    * Maxxis Ardents 2.4 is great for dry conditions.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I like my setup – Hans Dampf up front with Nobby Nick in the rear! In theory the HD’s give you better bite up front where you want it, plus extra volume for hitting big bumps, and the NN’s in the rear are better for rolling and therefore easier to pedal. I run 30psi in both and find the setup great for the usual trail centre hacks and in the woods over roots, big boulders and pebbly trails and in mud. A great all round Jack of all trades set up. Though I haven’t had a great amount of experience with other setups to compare, but i’ve not found it lacking so far. The only downside is its very pricey.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Was running 2 x Continental Mountain King 2’s…..

Just ordered a Hans Dampf Trailstar for the front – dunno why really, just thought id give it a go.

Probably not much help really 🙂

mafiafish
    Free Member

Bontrager 29-1 are superb, very fast, very grippy even in the wet and clear mud exceptionally well for such a tyre. I’m just gutted I didn’t realise that not all teh team-issue ones are tubeless. Very light too for the amount of grip.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Schwalbe HD front and rear on the quarterhorse, fantastic level of grip, use a RR on the back of Curtis xc9 just as its SS and needs to get up to speed easier

JohnClimber
    Free Member

miranmtb – Member

Trail 29er tires i have ridden/tested:
    * On One Chunky Monkey 2.4/Smogasboard 2.25

x 2 – loving mine, CM up front SB on the back and cheap as chips

glen815
    Free Member

Miranmtb / JohnClimber
    Never heard of On One tyres and would not have considered a tyre in this price bracket before. Just about to press the buy button but need to know how they perform tubeless. Any experience?

ahwiles
    Free Member

smorgasboard here – bloody brilliant.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Racing Ralph’s would do nicely.

Wally

Mud-X very good in 29er

thebiglad
    Free Member

I have been using and liking the WTB Bronson, up front.

miranmtb
    Free Member

@glen815
    Have been running them with flows and both went tubeless with just a floor pump. CM front SB rear both single compound. They hold air great, probably because they have the maxxis exo sidewalls.
    If weight is not your top priority you will not find better tires for the money. They really are maxxis tires with a different label on them.
    Twentynineinches also likes them: http://twentynineinches.com/2012/10/21/on-one-smorgasbord-2-25-tires-final-review/

glen815
    Free Member

Excellent, thank you for your comments. My decision, 1 x CM, 1 x SB, 2 x HD and 2 x Ardents on order.
    I think that should cover all bases for the moment. 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘29er Tyres’ is closed to new replies.