Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 29er tyre recommendations
  • slugrider
    Free Member

With it being a bit lighter now, crc having a sale and me being new to this whole tubeless malarky I’m after some tyre advice,

i recently went tubeless and i think its great, I’m running max is beaver exo, they too are fantastic but when the weather gets better i want something a little bit more mid range and for when its dry i want something fast rolling.

must be light, capable of tubeless and grip well, what do you think?

so to sum up recommendations for two pairs of tire, one intermediate, one dry/fast rolling and both light and happy tubeles.
    failing that, moon on a stick please.

cheers

warns74
    Free Member

Winter – Beaver 2.25
    Intermediate – spesh purgatory control 2.3 / butcher control 2.3
    Dry – Ardents 2.25

Mix these up between 29er HT and FS and happy with all of them.

emac65
    Free Member

Winter – Nic front Ralph rear
    Inter – Nic front Ralph or Small Block 8 rear
    Summer – Ralph front Small Block 8 rear
    29ers grip better..
    Use this across 3 29ers for the past 3-4 years.

chum3
    Free Member

I keep it simple – I really like Ikons as a dry/firm tyre and swap for Beavers when it’s muddy.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Specialized Purgatory F & R on mine.

Excellent all rounders.

mboy
    Free Member

emac65 I’m right in assuming you’re not from the UK?

Spesh Purgatory/Ground Control is a pretty decent most conditions setup. Doesn’t excel at anything, but reasonably quick, predictable grip in pretty much any conditions, and they’re pretty cheap.

Maxxis HR2 or Minion DHF up front would be the choice for all out grip and to hell with the compromises. Currently running a HR2 up front on my Sync, paired with a CST ouster 2.25 (basically Maxxis EXO carcass with a different tread pattern) on the back and yet to find anything that it doesn’t grip well on.

For faster rolling, check out Geax Saguaro’s. Quick but much tougher and with more edge bite than a Schwalbe Racing Ralph. Or there’s the Maxxis Ikon, which has way more grip in almost any condition than it looks like it should have, but be careful as some of the lighter versions have very thin sidewalls), and I can’t recommend them for front use unless in bone dry conditions.

If you can get hold of them, Rubena Kratos tyres have brilliant reviews, but are a bit thin on the ground in the uk.

Conti MK2’s and Trail Kings (was rubber queen) are as good as ever, but only in Black Chilli compound…

Bontrager 29-4’s (XR4 replacement) are well liked, similar to a Spesh Purgatory. I’ve got a pair of these brand new and unused I need to sell if anyone is interested…

Have heard good things about the new Michelin Wildgrip’rs in 2.25″ version, but seem to be a little thin on the ground too and I’ve no experience of them yet.

Next up for me personally will be a 2.3″ Geax Gato on the front, paired with a 2.1″ Gato on the rear for softer terrain, or a 2.2″ Saguaro for harder/drier trails. They’ll have to be good to beat the HR2 and CST ouster pairing on my Sync right now though to be fair!

Stiggy

I keep it simple – I really like Ikons as a dry/firm tyre and swap for Beavers when it’s muddy.

This

slugrider
    Free Member

Reckon on purgatory/ground control and ikons if anybody has either that they want to sell.

if anybody is selling some decent 29″ rubber at a good price please let me know, willing to try mist things as you never really know till you try them.

cheers

lerk
    Free Member

I’ve been running On-one Smorgasbords through the winter for Peak district duties and I can highly recommend them.
    My only intention for when the trails dry out a bit is to swap the rear for a crossmark for a bit more speed.

tom200

Spesh Purgatory/Ground Control is a pretty decent most conditions setup. Doesn’t excel at anything, but reasonably quick, predictable grip in pretty much any conditions, and they’re pretty cheap.

This^^^^ Does me all year round and only £30 each.

zippykona

I used to be the worlds biggest tyre changer but I now run bonty muds all year. Grippy,light and roll really well.

mboy
    Free Member

now run bonty muds all year.

😕

Grippy

In soft conditions yes, on anything firm they’re quite sketchy I’ve found.

light

I’ll give you that one, they’re not heavy

roll really well.

Not in a month of Sundays would I class the Mud X as “rolling really well”. They are one of the slowest rolling tyres I’ve ever ridden, in fact every other suggestion in this thread so far is a faster rolling tyre!

emac65
    Free Member

emac65 I’m right in assuming you’re not from the UK?

No,I’m from the Midlands…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘29er tyre recommendations’ is closed to new replies.