Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 29er tyre choice
  • honourablegeorge

27mm internal rims, mainly trail centres and hardpack, will wander off piste sometimes but mainly want them to roll.

Definitely a 2.3 Minion SS Silkworm out back, but torn between a 2.3 DHF 3c or a 2.4 DHR2 WT 3c for the front.

SirHC

2.3 DHF 3C, wide trail is going to need a wider rim width to work properly, plus you said you wanted them to roll.

honourablegeorge

Yeah… that’s all true, But the WT ones are…bigger 🙂

The 2.3 DHR2 is an option also

Rorschach
    Free Member

mainly trail centres and hardpack, mainly want them to roll.

Lists DH tyres 😐

honourablegeorge

They’re “trail” tyres, really. I can’t be arsed with light XC tyres, I’d wreck them, so Maxxis Exo is pretty mich the minimum.

That said, in the interest of open-midndness, what would you suggest?

kimbers

Chunk Monkey is a great tyre, made by maxxis with eckso side walls and great vfm, what not to like?

fifeandy
    Free Member

mainly want them to roll

mainly trail centres and hardpack

That said, in the interest of open-midndness, what would you suggest?

For what you describe XC tyres (in their tougher variants) are ideal. They are what people use for 24hr races etc (which are often held at trail centres) and they don’t wreck them.

For hardpack you want quite a closed shallow tread that prioritises surface area, not big toothy enduro tyres which need to dig in to work at their best.

honourablegeorge

True, but that’s pretty much what the Minion SS is – but with the handy side knobs for when thy’re needed.

DHF/DHR [ yeah, I see your point, but less worried about them roling up front, and good to have when hardpack veers off into te forest for a bit

chakaping
    Free Member

Trail centres and hardpack – Minion DHF surely? It’s a classic for a reason.

cooie

I find Hans Dampf Super Gravity work really well, and have the tougher sidewalls. Used in The Alps and BPW.

bigjim

specialized butcher control, or grid if you don’t mind the weight and slow rollin’

Northwind

WT will be fine on a 27mm internal rim ime- I have a dhr2 2.4 that I’ve had on 30mm and 25mm internal rims and I can’t tell any difference (and a nont-WT 2.5 which really just seems the same). IMO it’s mostly just market differentiation.

But the 2.3s would be good for this job too- lighter and a little faster (it’s not gamechanging but on a pedally trail you’ll probably notice). And also cheaper, the WT 3C is still £50+

(if you want epic grip, don’t rule out the 2.5 exo dhf, it’s a beast. I can’t decide whether I prefer it or the dhr2 2.4)

I wouldn’t choose an XC tyre, it’s not the same job. In principle there ought to be a middle ground- something like a nobby nic- but in practice there’s not a single tyre in that niche that’s as good as a minion imo. No point getting the right sort of horse for the course, if it’s lame.

Rorschach – Member

Lists DH tyres

None of those is a dh tyre.

fifeandy
    Free Member

None of those is a dh tyre.

Maybe not, but they are all sooo slow for trail centre stuff.
    My fastest time through Spooky Wood at GT for example is on a hardtail with 2.2 XKings. On this type of terrain, what they lose in grip, they more than make up for in rolling speed between the corners.

FWIW, I went with a RockRazor/HD(pacestar) combo, given a similar set of requirements to OP. In hindsight, its still a pairing that’s more suited to Comrie Croft than the usual trail centre superhighway.

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

But the 2.3s would be good for this job too- lighter and a little faster (it’s not gamechanging but on a pedally trail you’ll probably notice)

That’s pretty much what I decided a couple of minutes ago. Got the Minion SS Silkworm 2.3 and DHR2 3c 2.3 at r2bike.com for 81 Euro plus postage – went with the DHR2 as it’s a useful chunk lighter than a DHF, and I think Silkworkm is worth having out back for such a lightly-treaded tyre.

Northwind

fifeandy – Member

Maybe not, but they are all sooo slow for trail centre stuff.
    My fastest time through Spooky Wood at GT for example is on a hardtail with 2.2 XKings

Sure, but that’s right at the most undemanding end. If I wanted tyres to only ride spooky and things like it, I’d probably fit something faster than my xkings. Pink twinrails!

But other trail centre trails are available, the OP isn’t just trailcentring either.

honourablegeorge

I had ruled out Continental on the basis that they’re just not very good at making bike tyres. They can do ruber compounds and treads, they just can’t turn them into decent tyres that don’t leak or deform

honourablegeorge

Wow. r2bike.com just sent me a shipping notice already. Thaat’s bloody quick.

fifeandy
    Free Member

they just can’t turn them into decent tyres that don’t leak or deform

I may have been lucky, but that’s not my experience at all.
    They take a bit of effort to get sealed, but once sealed every one has been bulletproof.
    I did have one deform, but as i’d done 2000 miles on it, I find it hard to criticise.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘29er tyre choice’ is closed to new replies.