Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 29er tyre advice please
  • parisroubaix

Looking for tyre recommendations for my first 29er. Ive ordered a tallboy 2 carbon, I ride mainly xc, and always run tubeless. Cost not an issue given how much I’m spending anyway. Especially interested if anyone has experience of hutchinson toros as Ive run hutchinson tubeless tyres for most the last 11 years. I’ve heard about people running tyres with less tread due to the different contact patch but any advice would be great. Thanks in advance

damascus
    Free Member

100 mm travel tallboy or long travel?

I guess it depends on what type of riding you are going to do?

I guess you are also after lightweight tyres as well?

What tyres does it come with?

rsvktm

Been using maxxis ikons exo for general xc and racing last year, very fast rolling and plenty of grip. However they can be a bit fragile and sidewalls can wear but they are light. Also while there is a lot of grip it can feel odd cornering as they just roll and can be hard to tell where the edge is. Got a maxxis ardent race in the front at the mo and whilst heavier seems to work very well.
    Not getting into a 29er debate but I have been able to use a lighter threaded tyre over the couple of years I’ve been using mine. Use maxxis as been tubeless for a few years and they were the best for me at the start and never needed to stray…
    Enjoy your tallboy

Peter

parisroubaix

Damacsus- the tallboy 2 is the new 100mm travel frame, a few tweaks and a rear axle but not much else from the original. I ride xc and it doesnt come with tyres as I’m having a frame and building it up. Cheers

neil853
    Free Member

I’ve just switched from 26 to 29 and I can say that the extra grip you get is significant. To give a real world example I’ve got maxxis ardents on my titus fireline right now, on my 26 bike I found them lethal, and I do mean lethal. I’ve been running them for the last two or three weeks, through mixed conditions with zero problems, in fact I’ve found climbing traction to be staggering. I’d already ordered some sbc butcher and purgatory’s as that’s what I’d been most pleased with previously, I’m definitely going to be looking for a more summer based tyre for sure for the back. You can definitely get away with less treaded tyres from my experience.

chestrockwell

I’m very happy with Specialized Purgatory up front and The Captain out back on my FS 29er.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve switched from specialized ground controls to bontrager 29-3’s recently and I’m very impressed. On an anthem 29 btw

oxym0r0n

Racing Ralphs have happily graced my bikes for the last 18 months, tubeless, and been fine in most conditions

damascus
    Free Member

Yes, I’d agree. Summer is on the way. Racing Ralph’s roll well, are lightweight, set up tubeless well etc. Or Ralph on the back and a nobby nic on the front.

pipiom
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced my Bonty mud x on the front of my Tallboy LTC with a Toro 2.35….really like it….still got mud x on back and it works a treat…….new bike (carbine) will have toro 2.35 front and toro 2.15 rear….think that’ll do it just fine

appy
    Free Member

Anything in black chilli flavour for me nowadays.

Stiggy

Ikon 2.2 rear, Ardent 2.25 front here too, Beavers for the winter.

parisroubaix

great stuff so far feel free to share more experiences, thanks

zippykona

Bonty mud all year round. Roll fast great in the mud.

emac65
    Free Member

Summer -F/R – Ralphs
    Winter – F – Nic R – Ralph

TBH,you can pretty much get away with any quick rolling tyre on the back,I’ve been using a small block 8 on the back of the h/tail all winter too.

darkcyan
    Free Member

purgatory
    front, ground control rear.

IA

Sounds like you like your fast XC bikes, my fave setup on the fast bike is:

Ikon exo 3C on the front, folding cross mark on the back, for the summer. The ikon in that flavour is pricey, but also glorious.

In the winter, pair of beavers.

sumomatt
    Free Member

When I had my Spearfish, ran Maxxis Ignitors, which were very fast,and capable. Then swapped to Continental X-Kings Protection front 2.4 and rear 2.2, great tyres.

On the camber ran Purgatory F/R which were amazing.

The Stereo came with Schwalbe Hans Dampf Trailhead F and Pacestar R, these are bloody awesome on everything except sheet ice!!

Will stick with HDs all year round.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the stock one comes with Ikons, the missus swapped hers out to Ardent race’s seem to be fine.

Big rubber on that bike is kind of wrong really.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ve tried Ardent 2.4s but went back to Hans Dampf (Pacestar both) for the sheer grip (massive handful of brake and hardly any skidding). Vary pressure according to type of riding but about 25 psi front, 30 psi rear is the best feeling. (30 psi rear for avoidance of rim dings on the huge waterbars of Bennachie)
    For a skinnier version, maybe try the Nobby Nic.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘29er tyre advice please’ is closed to new replies.