Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 29er Training Wheels – Rim choice and economics of rebuild or new
  • adsh
    Free Member

I’m moving to a 29er as my training/winter bike so need a set of new wheels. I’ll be riding a lot on the road and will be using my shagged race tires ie worn tread and/or tubeless gashes etc so the rims will be used tubed and predominantly with 2.25s (Rons/Ralphs). I’ve done this for a year with my Soul and set of pro2s with 717s and it’s worked well.

I was thinking of either Mavic 719s or 319s (can’t find any info on them on the Mavic website). Do I need the 719s for 2.25s? I will use it off road too so it won’t always have massive pressure to prevent tyre roll etc if 319s are for narrower.

How about the economics of rebuilding vs new? Partworn bearings, new spokes, nipples, rims and labour and poor resale value of spokes/nipples and rims makes new pretty much the same overall cost (assuming pro2 again)?

firestarter
    Free Member

Ive a set near new cheap in classifieds 😉

adsh
    Free Member

Not a fan of either of those major components!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dt 470 rims would be a good choice, ive had them on my bikes for a couple of years and they’ve been a great compromise, cheap, strong, not light but not too portly either, and work well with tubeless tape.

takisawa2

I’ve built & run a few sets of wheels on 719’s & 319’s & wouldnt pay extra for the 719. Not that its a bad rim, but side by side I cant see the £20 price difference. Either way, they build a decent strong wheel. (100kg here, never had any issues). Have run 2.25 & 2.35 Ralphs/Nics on mine.
    Just not as fashionable as Stans etc.

For the 319’s I used the same spoke calcs as the 719’s & all came out good.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘29er Training Wheels – Rim choice and economics of rebuild or new’ is closed to new replies.