Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 29er touring rims
  • deft
    Free Member

After some rims for off-road/bridleway type touring, so want something reasonably sturdy. Would also appreciate the piece of mind for taking a bit further afield as well.

Going by what CRC has with a 36H option narrows things down quite nicely.

Sun MTX 33 (Cass Gilbert’s suggestion) – heavy, though still lighter than Sputniks, and probably idiot proof
    Mavic TN719 – obviously lighter and well received on here, but seem quite expensive compared to the discontinued TN319
    DT Swiss TK 540 – out of stock atm and most expensive, but the perhaps the most refined?

Budget option would be something like Mavic A319s but Mavic only suggest tires up to 2″

Any feedback or suggestions welcome!

scotroutes

Arch EX?

shermer75
    Free Member

Are you running rim brakes?

scotroutes
    paul4stones

I’ve been running 2.2+ tyres on A319s for years if that’s any help. Doing the sort of riding you talk of. Or mountainbiking as I call it 🙂

takisawa2

You’d be hard pressed to tell your on a TN719 over a TN319.

deft
    Free Member

Can’t find TN319s anywhere is the problem, but I agree, never really been sold on the more expensive Mavics. Might just save my pennies and get a pair of A319s.

faustus

for £79.99 from Merlin you can get sun ringle 29er rims (19mm internal) on shimano 525 hubs with 32 spokes. You may not have been after an entire wheelset but these are a bargain. Sturdy and quite heavy, but strong and good for touring/commuting duties, they’ll certainly take some abuse.

scotroutes

And when were they last in stock? They’ve been on Merlin with an “Out of Stock” message for months – actually probably the best part of a year now?

mikehow
    Free Member

Cass loves the old Sun/Rigida brand, they are admittedly bombproof but a little on the heavy side.

I’m running the Mavic TN719 the not burliest of rims but they’ve done a couple of thousand miles in the UK and India this year.

Trued up well and are ready for South America in a weeks time.

Bit more on my adventures here if you are interested: http://www.mikehowarth.co.uk

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘29er touring rims’ is closed to new replies.