Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • 29er/Tallboy bike build – what parts?
  • Bream
    Free Member

Right, I’m biting the bullet and buying a Tallboy, but I’m not sure what is generally recognised as the best high end fork and wheelset options?

What about a Stan’s No Tube ZTR Race 29er Wheelset and Rock Shox Reba XX Dual Air 29er?

Are these the best highend £/kg about? Should I go 20mm front or not?

pinches
    Free Member

the reba 29er is probably the highest end 29er specific fork you’ll get i’d think.

go for a 20mm maxle lite version, the steering is much more precise as the system is stiffer than a 9mm QR

Bream
    Free Member

If I wanted the best highend rim only, what would they be? ZTR race?

Tempted to keep my XC3 hubs and just fit bigger rims, but that would mean no 20mm 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

Best = most expensive, end of.

Bream
    Free Member

Sounds about right 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was joking, sorry.

pinches
    Free Member

if you were going to use XC3 you’d need a fox with a 15mm.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/11/forks/32_F29

Bream
    Free Member

Hmm, but can you buy a decent 24 hole 29er rim?

Bream
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

I was joking, sorry.
    But were you 😕

willsimmons
    Free Member

Get bolt through for definite, I have on my TB and its much stiffer than the QR 29er forks I’ve had before.

24 hole rims? why? What is a high end rim anyway? I like Stans rims but over the years I’ve written off/damaged/had eyelet cracks in hundreds of pounds of their rims. I would say don’t go for anything too light as they really are just racing only, hence the name ZTR race!

pinches
    Free Member

i would think the question would be “can you buy a 24 hole 29er rim” full stop!

TooTall
    Free Member

Stans Flow rims here and they are great so far. Bolt thru front is the best – QR isn’t really an option having ridden both. I’d not want to ride a 24 hole 29er wheel hard over anything.

Bream
    Free Member

I have 24 hole XC3 hubs now and like them a lot, so thought about trying to keep them, but it seems that this isn’t really possible if there are no 24 holed 29er rims available.

Plus, my XC3 wheels were meant to be race only type wheels and yet in nearly 2 years of riding the have only needed 1 spoke replacing with a nipple tweak!

Do people really not use ZTR race for anything other than race days?

And if ZTR race are too fragile for normal use, what is the next step down? Flows?

willsimmons
    Free Member

FWIW I have a set of Flows on my TB, seem a lot stiffer and no problems so far.

On-One have some carbon 29er wheels coming out if you really fancy splashing a load of cash.

Algore
    Free Member

And go triple up front not double. It’s faster sitting than standing. So having the granny makes it much quicker.
    I rode one at the Trans- it was like cheating. Would have been even better with someone fast on board.

Bream
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Those wheels appear to use 2.2mm ti spokes onteh front. Will these be lighter than revolutions?

Bream
    Free Member

willsimmons – Member
    On-One have some carbon 29er wheels coming out if you really fancy splashing a load of cash.

Are they likely to arrive this year? any more info?

willsimmons
    Free Member

http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/products/q/date/2010/08/25/new-carbon-29er-wheels

No idea, just saw the news posting on their website a month or so back

Sam

Yes – Edge or Reynolds rims are probably the very best available.

SSIT 2010 report and pics by Singular Cycles, on Flickr

Fairly certain the On One rims are some way off having spoken to Dave about it at Eurobike.

rootes1

i would think the question would be “can you buy a 24 hole 29er rim” full stop!

Shimano 29er XT wheel are 24 spoke:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/wheels/mountain_wheels/product.-code-WH-MT75.-type-.html

perhaps you can get the rims as spares…

Sam

You can also get custom drilled Reynolds rims.

Metasequoia

I’ve had both Team Rebas (100mm, non-bolt through) and FoxRLC bolt through and the Fox (120mm) and both very good but Fox are stiffer. On an XXL Tallboy.

Bream
    Free Member

How wide are the Reynolds carbon rims and are the tubs or clinchers, can seem to see them listed on their website?

Sam

21mm wide, they do tubs and clinchers. The ones in the pic above are MV32C UL (clinchers), I also have some DV42T tubulars.

gothandy

Bream it would be good to know what you’re going to do with the tallboy, having had mine for 3 or 4 months now, and having raced it a bit I’d say it definitely goes better on the long events. In which case you’ll be looking for reliability and comfort over light weight.

Also are you going to ride it at trail centres or down rocky stuff, I took mine on the Afan Monster and it was just great on the technical rocky descents, but if money was no object then I’d have a Rockshox Reverb on my Christmas list.

I’d agree with Algore go 3×10, I’d struggle to see the benefits of the 2×10 as it really isn’t a stand up and slog machine (imho).

Bream
    Free Member

I live and ride/race in the Southern part of Sweden so the majority of my trails are natural single track, quite flat and very fast, with an amount of fire road type surfaces. No real downhill rocky/downhill stuff etc, and trails centres don’t exist over here yet 😉

So hence the lightweight build desire without neglecting some sort of normal reliability of course.

I race both short course and marathon, my choice of the TB really comes down to the type of trails and race courses we have here. I am now totally convinced the TB would be the perfect match for my local trails and the race scene.

Shred
    Free Member

Flows are the heaviest rims.

Look at Crest, or Arch for more durability. Flows are for bigger hits – AM.

Dan1502
    Free Member

I don’t mean to hijack this thread but as you’re talking about something I was just about to post about it seems appropriate to ask here. I currently have the wheels that came with my Kona Kula Deluxe 29er which are Sun Eq 23 rims on Shimano M525 hubs and DT Swiss spokes. I am considering upgrading and have thought about the Shimano wheels (1850g a pair) or something like Hope Pro II, Crest Rims and Comp spokes. The thing is I weigh about 15 stone and ride mostly on trails including the likes of Lee quarry which is pretty rocky. Would the Shimano’s be a worthwhile weight saving and still be strong or what should I be considering? The most I wish to spend is probably £350.

gothandy

Bream sounds like you are going to make one super light machine. The word I always hear with the tallboy is cheating! Please post once completed.

Only other thing I can add is the default Small Block 8’s are fab, I was really sceptically about them but they are so fast and light they really compliment the large wheels and traction you get. I have heard of people setting them up tubeless (and it was a faff) but I run tubes for my sanity.

You might also be interested in Rob Dean’s build:

http://www.bikemagic.com/gear-news/rob-deans-santa-cruz-tallboy/8124.html

He posts on here sometimes too. Worth checking the archives.

Bream
    Free Member

Interesting, his TB is an XXL yet he’s only 6’4″!? I’m 6’2″ and was planning on a L as I ride a L Giant Anthem currently. No chance of a test ride based on my location. What size do you ride?

Interesting to see he runs ZTR hubs on 355 29er rims with DT Revolution spokes and Fox F100 29er RLC QR15 fork

gothandy

I’m 6’2″ also and went XL I suspect I need to send you my inside leg measurements to be sure but I suspect I would also fit on the XXL. Here is pic of me in action (for what it is worth!).

Concentrate … turn pedals … breath by gothandy, on Flickr

Also there is a pic of Rob Dean in full sprint on his XXL on this thread.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/show-me-your-full-suspension-29er

I have an old Large Cannondale Prophet which now feels very small (but fine for chucking downhills). My XL commuting Zaskar feels like a good fit.

Shred
    Free Member

If it is the lightest fork you are looking for, what about a Lefty 140 reduced to 110 for the 29er with a Project 321 adapter?

gothandy

Shred I’m tempted to give that a go!

Bream
    Free Member

It is tempting, what are the weight differences from the lefty and say a Fox F100 29er RLC QR15?

gothandy

cynic-al was that you adding the ATGNI tags? Very funny.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

hola! A bit late to the party, but I chose the XXL based on top tube length to make sure I didn’t have to run anything silly like a 130mm stem to get a sensible race bike position. The XL is just a wee bit too short.

Josh Ibbett uses the XL and he’s 6’3″. I’m 6’4.75″ at the last official count. At that size, seat tube length and standover are not an issue, it’s just seat post length! This is the only MTB I own where I can get away with only a 330mm seatpost rather than a 400mm post.

Hope that helps?

Rob
    bigrobracing.co.uk

sebgt
    Free Member

Mavic C29ssmax wheels look good, full ust and not a bad weight for 29er, 15mm hub though.
    Other options could be Easton Havens, alloy or carbon?

Also 2012 is offering a sid world cup 29er with a 15mm axle and carbon tapered steerer

dickie
    Free Member

robdeanhove
    Free Member

If you want the fastest wheels, a set of NoTubes Crest rims should be top of your shopping list. They’re a little flexy and improved trail manners can be had with some Flow rims for a teeny weight penalty.

However, the most important difference for handling with a longer 29er fork is a QR15 axle instead of a normal QR

Rob
    bigrobracing.co.uk

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘29er/Tallboy bike build – what parts?’ is closed to new replies.