Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 29er SS???
  • kaboom
    Free Member

I am considering dipping my toe into the 29er market with a cheaper end 29er SS – sub £600. Having done the google search I am somewhere between the Charge Cooker or the Cannondale SL.

I know one is steel and one Alu, does any one out there know the real life difference between the bikes?

Do you know if either can be changed to geared, if my legs are not up to SS?

Are there any little bike gems that I have missed?

mattjg
    Free Member

You’ll be fine on SS:

No need to get an SS specific frame if you’re concerned, just put a tensioner (I have Surly Singulator) on in place of the rear mech, it works fine.

SS & 29 is a natural combo.

shortcut

The Connondale has had good reviews and is very light. It can be run with gears too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steveoath
    Free Member

I really like my trek marlin ss.

qwerty
    Free Member

The Cannondale fork is supposed to be very R I G I D.

takisawa2

I’d go the On-One route, & build an Inbred, bit of flex etc.
    And a rigid fork actually works on a 29er.

epicyclo

If you’re trying to keep the Budget down, do as Takisawa2 says and make it an On-One. Get a Scandal rather than steel because they’re nice and light.

It’s a better priority to spend the bucks on the wheels on a SS.

jimification
    Free Member

I test rode the Cannondale. It certainly looks nice and I generally realy like Dales. I don’t know what it weighs but it felt heavier and a bit more “dead” than I expected and some of the components seemed a bit cheap. I’d go for an on one or a 2nd hand Swift if I was you.

In the end, I saved up a bit more and built up a Swift. It’s lovely.

As epicyclo said, I think getting some nice light wheels is pretty important on a 29er – makes a big difference to the ride.

kaboom
    Free Member

Cheers chaps. I like the Cannondale, interesting about the Cannondale tho jimification.

Will start the shopping list for a build….

Cheezpleez

I have an Inbred with a Swift fork. People on here seem to agree that the Swift fork is a good’un and it’s a bargain at £70.

TimCotic
    Free Member

Is that the Singular Swift fork you mean? I hear the Salsa Cromoto is slso good. Nice tubeless wheels will help too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘29er SS???’ is closed to new replies.