Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29er Slicks – suggestions please
  • Buzzard
    Free Member

Need slicks for my winter commute. Any suggestions for a 29er skinny slick on a Stans 355 rim.

Much appreciated

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

schwalbe marathon

Onzadog
    Free Member

as 29" are 700c, pick your road tyre!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Buzzard
    Free Member

Onzadog, width is the concern on the MTB rims, but I assume you have a suggestion for a road tyre then?

MrWright – those weigh a ton, not overly concerned with puncture resistance.

Anything else

Turnoisier
    Free Member

I'm using 25c Michelin Krylion carbons on my Stan's 355 29er rims at the moment, so don't worry too much about road tyre width! The Krylions have been excellent all summer, but I have no idea how they'll perform in the wet and the cold…

speaker2animals

I would look at the wide range of road touring/commuter 700c tyres. Think you'll struggle to find a fast/light 29er slick as not really what people started out with the 29er idea to do. Conti/Specialized/Hutchison/whoever sure there will be a good choice of 700x32s. What about the Bonti 29er XR1? Not slick but looks like it should be fast on road/towpath etc. Looks like a Small Knob 8. Thinking though can't you get a 29er version of the Small Block?

Buzzard
    Free Member

Thanks guys – will keep looking. got the SB8's on the way for towpath, but looking for something to be used on a commute and some long road rides which will become standard in the coming winter months.

druidh
    Free Member

Mavic reckon no slimmer than a 28mm tyre on a 717 rim – which is about the same as a 355. Thinner tyres will fit but may produce a strange profile.

How about Conti GP 4 Seasons? I'm thinking of trying them this winter.

Buzzard
    Free Member

PS – Turnoisier – are those the 25mm width ones you are running? Sounds narrow for stans 355 but may give that a shot

Buzzard
    Free Member

Nice one Druid – those look like the business or even the cheaper Gatorskin version in 28mm

TooTall
    Free Member

Just about to put some highly recommended Conti Sport Contact on my hybrid – 700 x 32. They look great and currently come with free inner tubes and a 1 yr non-puncture warranty. They do 28, 32 and 37 widths.

Buzzard
    Free Member

In case anyone was wondering – this seems to be a cracking deal on the GP 4 seasons

http://shop.devercycles.co.uk/?action=detail&prodID=3203

Turnoisier
    Free Member

PS – Turnoisier – are those the 25mm width ones you are running? Sounds narrow for stans 355 but may give that a shot

Yup. They've been great. And completely puncture free for the last three months!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'd not go below 32mm if I were you. It's not so much the profile but the maximum design pressure for Stan's rims. I've got some Specialized Borough 700 x 32 that I converted to stan's (on normal road rims) that work okay at 50 psi. Higher pressures could cause the rim to crack.

Buzzard
    Free Member

Onzado – are we saying that I can only run 50psi on 355 rims? I have been known to run those kind of pressures in mtb tires

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think Stan's does suggest an upper limit to the pressures on their rims. Also, in Roger's wheel building book there's a picture of a cracked mavic rim which it turns out, was caused by running high pressure narrow slicks on a rim designed for a mountain bike.

My Flow rims have a sticker on saying 40 psi max with a 2" tyre

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29er Slicks – suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.