Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 29er sizing question
  • td75
    Free Member

So I got myself a used 2008 Kona Unit 2-9 20″ with 100mm Tora forks. Reach wise it feels good, I feel stretched out which is nice. But top tube clearance is nonexistent on stand over. I’ve looked at the frame size chart for that year and I suppose I could go down a size but then I would have a 120mm + stem on it just to get comfy. On the 20″ as it is I have the seat right on the front of the rails to get my position right.

Another option is to put a 450mm rigid fork on the front which would drop the front about two inches giving me some clearance. Or is it best to just get a smaller frame size with a long stem on the front?

Also any ideas if you can get 80mm forks with a A-C measurement of 450mm? My back would appreciate something with a bit of bounce at the front.

Does anyone else ride with no stand over clearance?

letmetalktomark

Personally I would have thought the 18” would have been a better size.

Counter the shorter TT by using a layback post.

Failing that try to find an 80mm fork.

A 450mm fork I would have thought would have been far too short for the frame.

I caan help you out and take the frame off of you if that helps 😆

druidh
    Free Member

Wrong frame and nothing to do with it being a 29er. Sometimes you just have to accept that the geometry of a certain frame will never fit

asterix
    Free Member

that top tube does look high at the front – try a 26inch front wheel?

td75
    Free Member

I was thinking that maybe I should swap the frame out. Which is a shame because I love the sliding dropouts of the unit.

I’ll try a 26″ at the front, that’s a good option for trying out a shorter fork on the front.

Everything else feels great about the length of the frame and a layback seat post would make the saddle sit better.

letmetalktomark

asterix – Member

that top tube does look high at the front – try a 26inch front wheel?

Don’t try this 😆

td75
    Free Member

I’ve just tried slipping in a 26″ wheel at the front and a short fork with a 29″ wheel would give me about 2-3″ of toptube clearance.

It’s looking like I may swap the frame. Trouble is I really don’t like the look of many 29er frames and I’m really not a fan of layback seat posts.

asterix
    Free Member

it was a bit tounge in cheek 😉

td75
    Free Member

I was thinking of trying a shorter 29er fork anyway before going to a frame swap. So it gave me some idea as to standover clearance.

Paceman
    Free Member

Sounds like the frame is too big for you. As Druidh said above, nothing to do with wheel size.

td75
    Free Member

I think I may look at swaping the frame. Loved the feeling of the bigger wheels when I’ve been out on it.

mattjg
    Free Member

Loved the feeling of the bigger wheels when I’ve been out on it

Ssssshhhhhhhh things have only just settled down from the last 26 vs 29 bunfight.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘29er sizing question’ is closed to new replies.