Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 29er rim – moon on a stick…
  • tootallpaul

So, I’ve decided to learn about wheel building.

And to do so I want to build a pair of durable wheels, primary use for touring, but able to take a fat tyre should I need.

I’d like to find a wide, eyeleted, not too heavy rim. And cheap of course.

All I have found so far is the Pacenti 28.

What other choices do I have?

Cheers,

Paul

Stoner
    Free Member

Halo freedoms?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I built a set of wheels using Superstar sentinel rims. They’ve been good so far – tubeless ready, lightidh, 21mm internal width. At £40 each they’re not that cheap though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cp

Superstar Sentinels or even wider the tactic

Clobber
    Free Member

Dually? – 45mm wide…

tootallpaul

Freedoms and Sentinel look interesting.

Tactic and Dually- no eyelets…

Sanny
    Free Member

Mavic TN 719 – over two and a half years of pretty bloody demanding riding on my Fargo and still going strong. To be honest, as someone who rides a proper fat bike, the difference in wide v narrow normal rims is pretty negligible in my book. I would genuinely struggle to discern any noticeable difference between rims a few mm different in width. 😐

messiah
    Free Member

the difference in wide v narrow normal rims is pretty negligible in my book. I would genuinely struggle to discern any noticeable difference between rims a few mm different in width

Mincer 😉

Wide/strong DH style rims are easier to build/true as your first wheel build as they are more forgiving during the building and trueing process. But I wouldn’t get overly hung-up on it as all modern stuff is much better than old weak super flexy roady kit from the 50/60/70’s when wheel building was a true art form*

*allegedly

sillyoldman

Rim width makes a massive difference to tyre feel and stability at low pressures Sanny.

Mavic EN 821 is nice but a bit more convoluted to build due to the thread in nipple supports. Not cheap neither, but nice.

flange
    Free Member

I built a set of wheels for this very purpose and it was my first set too. I used WTB Frequency I9 things off of CRC, built to some existing Tune hubs I had BUT if you build them on Hopes they use the same length spokes both sides. Which is handy…

BillOddie

Get the Pacenti’s great rims!

tomlevell

DT TK7.1 are officially a touring rim and I’ve had no problem with 2.1 MTB tyres on them (only used as a MTB rim). Will also do rim braking.
    Can’t say they are cheap though.

thewalker
    Free Member

hi,stans flows or arch are worth a look aswell

tthew

I just ordered rims and hubs for my first go at wheel building too. Not the spokes, as I have to measure the other bits to work out what length.

Mavic Open Sport and Token track hubs for my commuter, so a different build to yours. Good luck!

tootallpaul

Cheers all.

thewalker- Stans have no eyelets. I like eyelets.

tang
    Free Member

Dt x470? I’ve had 28c to 2.25 on no probs. cheap and eyeleted. 470g is ok.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

What the hell is a moon on a stick?

nikk
    Free Member

I have been running Pacenti tl28s for about 8 months – good rims.

Also recommend LightBicycle carbon rims if you can push your spend. Really stiff and therefore easy to build.

househusband
    Free Member

H Plus Son Archetype..? No eyelets admittedly.

tthew

What the hell is a moon on a stick?

Probably impossible. A bit like light, strong AND cheap.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Ahh I see, thanks.

Sanny
    Free Member

Messiah

I wear my mincer hat with pride 😀

sillyoldman

Genuinely, I struggle to notice any real difference between the likes of a Flow and my Mavic rims other than the Flows being a nightmare when trying to change a conti tyre. It’s so on the margin for me compared to my 82mm Rolling Daryls that in a blind test, I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. Actually, a blind test would mean I probably crash first anyway! 😀

granny_ring

Following this thread too as I would like to start building some wheels soon.
    I’ve already got some Stans 355s, or would I be better off using some eyeleted rims to start with?

breadcrumb

WTB i25? I have the i23s on my unit and they’re fairing well so far.

mallorcadave
    Free Member

Sun ringle infernos they come in various widths are pretty light and stiff as anything. I’e been running a pair of the welded joint inferno 27mm in 26″ for the last 2 years which i built myself and havent had to true them once.They are now looking a bit battle scarred from rock strikes but the bead hook is undamaged despite running low pressures in very rocky terrain.Can’t recommend them enough.

tootallpaul

Cheers chaps-

I went with a pair of Sun Inferno 27’s and a Pair of Sun Inferno 25’s- seem to tick all the boxes for the builds I’m looking at.

Paul

D0NK

Genuinely, I struggle to notice any real difference between the likes of a Flow and my Mavic rims

2mm difference in rim makes a massive difference in how fat a tyre looks, as we all know if it looks good it rides good, who buys tyres with rubbish looking tread?

Yes it’s probably all mental but mind games play a huuuuge part in riding 🙂
    reckon I’d be hard pressed to notice in a “blind” back to back test aswell.

don’t sun ringle make stans rims and their own rims are just stans+eyelets?

mallorcadave
    Free Member

I know that some sun rims use a stans design and also that the nukeproof am rims are inferno 27s

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

Bit cheeky – but a derby rim is wiiiiiddddee, stiff, strong and no nipples needed for carbon. I wouldnt recommend touring on it.. but you should definitely have two sets of wheels anyway 😉 😆

tootallpaul

Centurion,

I’d love to try the derby rim- they look lovely.

A little out of my price bracket though.

They would go great on my Turner.

😉

granny_ring

OP where did you get the rims from, any links?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you need a hand building them drop me an e-mail, its been a couple of years so I’ll be a bit rusty, but my wheels haven’t fallen appart in the meantime!

jairaj

Spank Ozzy or Vomax rims.

tootallpaul

granny_ring – all from CRC

And cheers thisisnotaspoon…

granny_ring

Ok ta, will have a gander.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘29er rim – moon on a stick…’ is closed to new replies.