Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 29er rim advice.
  • Dan1502
    Free Member

I currently have the wheels that came with my Kona Kula Deluxe 29er which are Sun Eq 23 rims on Shimano M525 hubs and DT Swiss spokes. I am considering upgrading and have thought about the Shimano wheels (1850g a pair) or something like Hope Pro II, Crest Rims and Comp spokes. The thing is I weigh about 15 stone and ride mostly on trails including the likes of Lee quarry which is pretty rocky. Would the Shimano’s be a worthwhile weight saving and still be strong or what should I be considering? The most I wish to spend is probably £350. I estimate the weight of my current wheelset without the cassette and discs to be about 2.3Kg. Or should I just stick with what I have?

ton

kris holm rims.

TooTall
    Free Member

Halo wheels / rims. Great price and mine have proven to be lardcore resistant for over 3 years.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thomthumb
    Free Member

The thing is I weigh about 15 stone and ride mostly on trails including the likes of Lee quarry which is pretty rocky.

if this was the case for me I’d get something that could be repaired/rebuilt easily if/ when you do trash the rims. to me this means 32 spoke and normal spokes. Shimanos are 24 spoke btw.

Personally i like eyelets and haven’t tried stans because of this; although other people seem to be doing fine.

I have recently built a wheel using a mavic tn719 which is looking like a good dependable wheel.

Dan1502
    Free Member

I was really wondering whether I could go with lighter wheels but still be strong enough for my weight and the riding I do. If the answer’s no then I’ll stick with mine and just get them trued and retentioned. Any further thoughts?

Dan1502
    Free Member

It sounds like I might be best sticking with what I have for now then. Given I’ve just spent quite a bit on new drive train bits it’s probably for the best anyway!

thomthumb
    Free Member

i think you could get something lighter. Mavic on hope should be lighter than what you have. just make sure you get a good builder on the case.

MrTall
    Free Member

I’m 15st/16st and ride a variety of 29er wheels and have had no major problems with any of them.

Sun Ringle Chargers on my FS have been excellent and are the burliest of the lot (32h). Bonty Race Lites on the HT (28h) have been excellent also although the rear rim is a bit knackered now and loses tension, but that was due to me crashing it after forgetting to do the QR up properly – not the wheels fault! Have a SS specific Bonty on the back of the SS (32h i think) that has been fine and a Halo Freedom on the front which appears very strong but is no lightweight.

WMB (i think) has a review this week for some Novatec 29er wheels which they raved about. Fairly lightweight and around £300 i think.

Dan1502
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Having just given into temptation and bought some bits for my drivetrain I think I’ll have my wheels trued and retentioned for now and do a bit more research in the meantime. Though I’d like to try lighter wheels, I don’t want to be worrying about them all the time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

arch on hope 😀

thats what ive speced for bike packing – like having a heavy clumsy rider on 😀

Dan1502
    Free Member

What weight will they be about?

trail_rat
    Free Member

no idea on total weight – im using a rohloff iirc the rims are about 540grams so about 100-150 grams heavier than crests or there abouts ?

i already have a set of 355s and wouldnt suggest them for a heavier rider – im 12 stone

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve got halos on pro2 a good mix of strength weight reliability and easy to service and not too expensive

charliedontsurf

Halo have custom made some xc wheels for us, right nice halo hubs on aerowarrior rims. £250 a pair. There seems to be a gap where fair priced all-round wheels don’t exist. We have some lovely American classic wheels at £400 but they are very light. Fsa nolonger import there 29er wheel. The halo freedoms are too burly for some.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘29er rim advice.’ is closed to new replies.