Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 29er rigid fork with a 26" wheel?
  • NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

How would a 29er rigid fork ride with a 26" wheel? Im after a long rigid fork to match the A-C length under compression of the 120mm forks on my 456. 29er forks seem to be longer, but in practice does the bike ride all wrong? (Looking at the Surly Karate Monkey fork)

Ive tried 440mm rigid On One forks, but they felt too short on the 456 frame.

Vortexracing

see my thread here about the same question

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bear-with-me-a-moment-dialled-alpine-as-a-fully-rigid-opinions

are you selling the on-ones?

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Thanks for the link.

(Im probably going to keep hold of the 440mm forks at the moment, ive got an old inbred frame which they work well with)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Anyone else?

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Any of the day time forum dwellers care to comment?

HTTP404
    Free Member

My GT peace 26er came with 470mm (afaik that's 29er length) as standard.
    and that doesn't look wrong or ride wrong. I've swapped the std. steel one for a carbon 29er now tho. It Offers huge tyre clearance.

I think a 456 will be fine with it.

sheldona
    Free Member

The offset of the fork would be designed to work with the bigger wheel, therefore by putting a smaller wheel in there the trail would be shorter thus making the front end twitchy and unstable. This maybe a problem for you it may not?

clubber
    Free Member

HTTP404 – Member
    My GT peace 26er came with 470mm (afaik that's 29er length) as standard.
    and that doesn't look wrong or ride wrong.

I didn't like it at all like that but I guess that maybe it's a preference thing – in fact, I found it rode best with a 425mm fork…

brant
    Free Member

The offset of the fork would be designed to work with the bigger wheel, therefore by putting a smaller wheel in there the trail would be shorter thus making the front end twitchy and unstable. This maybe a problem for you it may not?

you'd think so, but in practice, the slacker head angle created by the longer fork, sort of offsets the longer fork rake's decrease in trail.

rOcKeTdOg

boz i've got a kona P2 CX fork you can try if you want, 29er length ( i'll measure it if you want to make sure and disc only, not using it so you can try for as long as you want

tinribz
    Free Member

Did a C2C with a 26" wheel in a 29er carbon fork. Rode fine other than felt a bit wobbly under pressure.

The bike was loaded up and the headset a bit rubbish, but I'm sure there was a little too much flex there than was right.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer RD – i'll let you know 🙂

Vortexracing

would be nice to see some piccies of any 26" in a 29er fork as i'm still deliberating between a rigid for my Alpine or one for my Cotic Soul.

tinribz
    Free Member

peajay

I'm going to do this too, have 29er on one carbon forks waiting to go on my hummer, went for the 29s to keep the lengh similar to the talas that are on it, just need the time to get into the garage and get the tools out, plan is to ride with a 26 inch wheel but tempted to try it as a 69er?
    PJ.

Northwind

I put a 29er rigid fork in the soul for the first time the other week, lovely… It's this one:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=0&c=43&p=197&

46.5mm axle-to-crown which isn't far off my 130mm revelations when sagged (they're 508mm at full length). I wanted to keep a fairly similiar feel since I'll be running both on the same bike (though not, I think, at the same time 😉 )

Not been able to really test it in normal conditions due to the snow but it's worked well so far. Glad I didn't go for a shorter fork, anyway- but to be fair, that's because I wanted the familiarity, not because I don't think the shorter ones would work well.

According to Exotic's website, the offset is the same for the 29er and 26er forks.

These are rotten pics, apologies, they're all I have and the bike has its revs back for now:

pascoa341
    Free Member

A question for those who have ventured into the 29 fork with 26 wheels realm: how is it? Ok, stable, safe, nice, odd, different? Thinking of putting a rigid 29er fork in my genesis attitude for some touring and probably next year winter riding (and possibly even 69'ing!). Options I have seen/heard of are:

– Karate Monkey fork (I think 43mm rake and 468 axle to crown)
    – eXotic Rigid forks, alu and carbon (as it's also for touring I am inclined to go for alu (42,5 rake and 465 axle to crown)
    – On One carbon (47 mm rake, which is a bit much I guess)

Any experience with these. I'd prefer the Karate Monkey as it's steel like the rest of my Genesis, but am willing to be lured elsewhere. I'm especially wondering how stiff they would be, as the Genesis gets a bit wobbly with 15 kg. on the rear carrier and 130 mm Suspension fork – one of the reasons to go partially rigid).

Farticus

As an alternative, keep the 26er fork and put a 29 wheel in. I've got the 440mm forks and run a 29 wheel with Racing Ralph 2.4" tyre – no clearance problems at all and handles just fine.

rp16v
    Free Member

i fitted mine about 20 mins ago i fitted dimond back mojito 29er forks on my sanderson soloist they are c2c almost the same as my 130 recons but they rake out really far they look abit funny but from what i noticed on the quick test ride seem to track lovley with no flex

lets see some more pics so my bike dousent look so funny lol

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘29er rigid fork with a 26" wheel?’ is closed to new replies.