Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 29er rigid fork on 26er frame, with 26er wheel…. Will I die?
  • composite
    Free Member

Now that I have a full suss that I use for pretty much all my off road riding, I’m only using my P7 for commuting and bike packing. Therefore I have been thinking that I might tweak the P7 towards more of a commuter and off road tourer. Currently it has a 140mm fork on which is proper over kill and is getting a lot of wear but not really needed.

I had a go on my mates rigid 29er over the weekend and I really like the rigid fork, it made the front end so light and maneuverable. I have been looking at forks and like the look of the Salsa Fargo 29er fork. I like the option of the cage mounts.

It has an axle to crown length of 468mm compared to my Fox fork which is roughly 510mm. Generally I like the current geo but I realise I will have to lose some slackness in the front end. Is using a 29er fork with a 26″ wheel in a 26″ wheel frame a bad idea? As far as I’m concerned it will just give me more mud clearance up front.

Also any suggestions on other rigid forks that people like?

rOcKeTdOg

what could possibly go wrong?

Wanga 69er by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

singular hummingbird fork, works much better with a 29er wheel though, especially if it’s to go on a frame designed around 120-140mm travel

jonba
    Free Member

I do it on my 456. Seen plenty of others that do too.

composite
    Free Member

Good assumed it would be OK.

Rocketdog is that an upside Mary Bar? If so that’s my handle bar setup as well. 🙂

Northwind

Did it on my Soul then my C456, works a charm.

rOcKeTdOg

Rocketdog is that an upside Mary Bar? If so that’s my handle bar setup as well.

no, it’s a flat carnegie’s bar

composite
    Free Member

no, it’s a flat carnegie’s bar

Ahhh OK, I have been thinking about switching to a Fleegle (which is flat) to get some of the height back if I go for the rigid.

I’m torn because although I’m used to the Mary Bar now, in a perfect world I would say that the back sweep is a little high. I have a Salsa Bend 2 on my Five which is 23degrees and that’s great, but if I was going to replace the Mary I think I would like to give something slightly straighter a go hence the Fleegle at 15degrees. 😕 ❓ 😕

peajay

I run 29er forks with a 26 wheel on my hummer, keeps things pretty much where they were when I had the talas on, the 26 fork would have been like riding with the talas wound down, even thought about sticking a big wheel in and making a 69er! Works good as it is though,
    PJ.

johnnystorm

On-one suggest this with their new carbon mono fork. If you’re quick and pre-order you can get one for £106.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I like the look of that mono fork for my Genesis.

robarnold
    Free Member

I ran an Exotic carbon 29er fork on my P7 with a 26er wheel last year with no issues. Until I snapped the frame behind the BB shell, but I don’t think that had anything to do with the fork 🙂

Dangerboy
    Free Member

I’ve recently put a singular swift fork on my ti456. No complaints whatsoever – as others have said it’s particularly brilliant for climbing, and will be lower maintenance for the winter. Do it!

philtricklebank

On-one suggest this with their new carbon mono fork. If you’re quick and pre-order you can get one for £106.

Any links for that? Can’t find it anywhere at that price

johnnystorm

Any links for that? Can’t find it anywhere at that price

Use the following code on the On-One webpage to get them for £106, assuming its still working. Mine arrived today, 592 gms (Deja Vu anyone?!) 🙄

UK29OFF29

vondally
    Free Member

hummingbird fork for sale soon £30.00 posted
    nephew bought for a 29er …….. in error….second hand

sorry for the blatent marketing ….. been on the privateer thread 😀

takisawa2

My old second gen Inbred was ace with 29er forks.

IMAG0232 by pten2106, on Flickr

richen987
    Free Member

hummingbird fork for sale soon £30.00 posted
    nephew bought for a 29er …….. in error….second hand

hi Vondally, i would be interested in that fork, could you send me some pics to
    ric_hen987(@)hotmail.com
    looked for an email in your profile but nothing there.

cheers
    Rich

vondally
    Free Member

morning rich, will do but will be later in the day

Thanks

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Long answer: Your headangle will increase by about half a degree compared to your sagged fox fork. If the fork you’re using is one of the 29er forks with increased rake your (mechanical)trail will decrease (by the increase in rake) and make your steering feel lighter.

If you’re bikepacking then the weight of what you’re carrying on the front will make your steering feel heavier again anyway.

Short answer: It’ll be fine

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘29er rigid fork on 26er frame, with 26er wheel…. Will I die?’ is closed to new replies.