Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • 29er rear tyre
  • sideshow
    Free Member

Surprised by the recommendation for DHF2, I don’t think they clear mud very well compared to the Beaver. Is DHR2 any better?

birdage

Thanks widge34!
    Not sure I can justify £40 for an extra .2 but good to know they’re around. Presume these replaced the 60tpi 2.25s?

crashrash

So checked the purgatory – now only in 2.3 for 29er, Beaver is an option, noone else has had a go with conti MK2, and maybe the high roller comes up small enough to fit the Whyte! If the High roller is small is the same true of the 2.3 DHR2? If so reckon that would suit me but don’t want to fork out and then find it don’t fit!

Yetiman
    Free Member

I have a Conti MK2 2.4 on the back of the hardtail at the moment and while it does clear mud quite well and rolls ok grip is pretty average compared to the likes of the DHR2. They do size up narrower compared to Trail Kings so you’d definitely get away with the 2.2 version and maybe even the 2.4. Can measure mine tonight if you want?

If you fancy trying a DHR2 for size I could send you my old one which I think is still lying in the garage doing nothing. It’s pretty worn and the sidewalls are held together by sealant but at least you’ll know if it fits.

russl
    Free Member

Update on my beavers, found a significant tear in the rear tyre today, bit worrying as I don’t ride anywhere rocky. I didn’t realise how thin the rubber is until now!
    Are the tyres that chain reaction sell the genuine article or are they like a cheaper version produced just for them?

scandal42
    Free Member

Yetiman, if nobody else takes you up on that offer then I certainly will.

Was considering buying this tire but seeing as I’ve purchased two that done fit already I didn’t fancy wasting more cash.

failedengineer

A 2.3 Bontrager XR3 fits in the back of the T-129 OK, too. They seem good allrounders.

If any one wants a beaver in 29. 2.25 i have one going spare used (90% left ) £20 posted

Northwind

chakaping – Member

I use the dhr2 in 2.3 as an all year round tyre on my 29er. It’s great.

Thirded. If it fits. It doesn’t have epic mud pedalling grip though so if your riding includes ploughed field slogs and the like it won’t cut it.

birdage

Hi llf I’d be interested in your beaver if it’s EXO and you can send a photo. Email in profile

Yetiman
    Free Member

scandal42 – Yetiman, if nobody else takes you up on that offer then I certainly will.

No worries, if the OP doesn’t want it it’s all yours.

sideshow
    Free Member

Yetiman I’d be interested in trying your old DHR2

Those of you who have tried DHF and DHR2 year round how do they compare to one another on mud clearance (and for bonus points how do they compare to the beaver)?

chum3
    Free Member

I think the Forekaster is a better all round tyre than the Beaver. The Beaver has taller, softer knobs (certainly in 2.0) that fold on hard ground, so are less suited to armored / trailcenter type trails. Great on soft ground though. I have both, but use them differently.

crashrash

Yetiman – thanks for the offer but I have splashed out on a DHR2 on the basis that if it does not go in on the T129 then I can stick it on my hardtail! Keeping fingers crossed it does!
    Thanks for the tip re mud Northwind – like lost I have some of that but no general tyre copes well and I prefer to have something I can ride everywhere else – too lazy to swap tubeless tyres over repeatedly depending on rainfall.
    Failedengineer – thanks for letting me know re XR3 as it gives me another option if the DHR fails to go in.
    I willlet everyone know about the DHR once I get round to swapping it over!

stayhigh

Interested to hear your thoughts on the DHR2 and how well it fits your T129.

crashrash

So Minion DHR2 – first for all the T129 owners out there the 2.3 fits really nicely on the back end! In fact it is quite a lot smaller than the 2.25 trail boss so there is plenty of space and good clearance, specially as it is quite square in shape. Performance wise it seems good with excellent bite on braking and decent cornering. Pissing down right now so tomorrow will be a good test in wet/mud. I have pictures too once I figure out how to add them!

crashrash

DHR2 – awesome! One local run only 1 second off KOM in mud and pissing rain/hail compared to local enduro god! Grip and confidence are great.

crashrash

And two months in still stoked about the DHR2. It is a seriously good tyre – just watch out for braking traction as it can be a shock! (in a good way)

juanghia
    Free Member

SpeShul Fastrak all year round very fast very grippy.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘29er rear tyre’ is closed to new replies.