• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 29er Rear hardtail xc tyre..
  • dawson

Sorry for a what tyre post…

Currently have a Maxxis Beaver 2.25 that’s just about worn out so looking at options for the coming months.

a) just get another Beaver but Next Day Tyres seem to have been out of stock for a while
    b) Bontrager XR4 – only seem to come in 2.3″ are they a true 2.3″? Also seem quite rare

c)use a Maxxis Ikon that originally came with the bike but they seem a bit skinny,flimsy and summer-y (which was why I took them off)

d) something else that rolls reasonably well, that is reasonably knobbly

Over to you…

orangespyderman

Ikon is very summer, you’re right. Very. I love it, but only on the really dry. Ardent Race is a little less, and might float your boat in that respect. It’s quite good in mixed, doesn’t really like proper mud, but has a decent stab at anything else.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Depends how much mud/slop you need it to cope with.
    X-king and xr2 are nice fast rolling intermediates that aren’t too flimsy.

the00
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Geax Saguro, which is a bit more draggy than the Crossmark it replaced, but does offer more grip in loose stuff. It’s held up ok too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My XC bike came with Ikon and Conti Race King on it, the Ikon was fast (in a straight line on hard pack in the dry etc) the Conti was nearly see through after a few rides…
    Replaced with Ardent Race which just seem to work well

tpbiker
    Free Member

Conti race and x kings dont go up tubeless in racesport flavour (which I assume is the xc version). If that doesnt bother you I have the later in 2.2 nearly new for 15 quid posted

kimbers

Big fan of ardent rear on my 29er, way more grip than it should have, even in mud it’s better than u think it will be, and rolls pretty well.

Keen to try an ardent race if it ever dries out properly !

fifeandy
    Free Member

Racesports should go up tubeless – just only for the duration of an XC race. Protection version is the sane persons choice.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Depends how fast you are andy 😉

ferrals
    Free Member

My rear tyre selection (all 2.1) is Beaver when it’s really wet and muddy, scwalbe racing Ralph when it’s wet and a bit mixed and Ralph’s for summer. I find rons to be a good compromise from a beaver when you want more speed but some grip and mud shedding. Rons grip on wet roots and bedrock better than the other two I think

dawson

Thanks all, some useful suggestions.

Not a fan of Conti after I had a few that split at the bead.
    Schwalbe always seem expensive, so I might look at Maxxis of some flavour

breadcrumb

I’m happy with my Ardent, but then I don’t ride that much mud.

2.25 but they size up well.

BillOddie

Crossmark or On-One Smorgasbord for me.

Keen to try a Minion SS this summer though.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Bontrager xr3 is a good tyre. Fast but still grippy and a good 3 season tyre.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I’ve had a RR all winter, I usually change to a beaver for winter, but there was no need this year!

core

Conti X King for me, they can handle most stuff better than you’d think.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve got Smorgasbord and X-King Protection for my 29er.

X-King a LOT faster rolling, almost as fast as a slick on the road. Smorgasbord is a lot softer compound, grippier, quieter, and more draggy. I tend to leave the X-Kings on most of the time as I often used stretches of road to link trails up especially in the winter.

I’ve also got 650b Tubeless Smorgasbord which has a much shallower tread that then non-tubeless version.

Yak

Saguaro 2.2 is my favourite do it all fast rear. For muddy weather when you need more clearance, a 2.2 x king protection or 2.1 ground control are both pretty good. Failing that you can’t go wrong with a 2.25 snakeskin ralph. Currently running a 2.25 Onza Canis and that’s like a ralph with a bit more tread and more supple sidewalls. Still a 700g tyre though so not paper thin.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘29er Rear hardtail xc tyre..’ is closed to new replies.