Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 29er Race Bike Purchase. Which would you buy?
  • DanEvs
    Free Member

Looking at 2 bikes for xc/enduro racing this year. I’ve decided on a 29er but I’m now torn between the Scott Scale Pro and the Cannondale Flash 2.
    Test rides are out of the question (nobody has demos), specs are very similar and prices the same.
    Cannondale has a slightly better spec with Stans wheels and carbon bars/post.

Scott Scale 29er

Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er

What would you buy?

sefton
    Free Member

ask on xcracer mate (someone from there will know)

soma_rich
    Free Member

Planet x dirty harry.

slowjo
    Free Member

I’d buy a Swift…in fact I have. The thing is, if you want something more exotic than steel….

sefton
    Free Member

you could spec a dirty harry up nicely i’d imagine!

the scott looks great so does the flash though 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Personal, there’s no right choice. Any friends with either/both?

I’d probably get the Scott. I know Lefties have a big following, but they are a bit limiting and service options are limited. Both excellent frames and similar bits.

Can you at least sit on both? May find even on a car park test one feels better than t’other.

DanEvs
    Free Member

Hmmm, maybe I could convince Evans Cycles to get them both in for me to look at. Good idea.

How are the lefties limiting then? Just with reduced lock in one direction or is there something else??

keavo
    Free Member

they are both excellent, don’t sweat over it. without actually seeing or riding them i’d fancy the cannondale.
    does it have to be a hardtail though? i have owned and raced on a niner air9 scandium, niner sir9 and an on one carbon race 29. i currently own a salsa spearfish (haven’t raced on it yet) and i believe i will be faster on it.

njee20
    Free Member

How are the lefties limiting then?

Stem choice (particularly as that’s got the 1-piece stem/steerer) and hub choice most notably.

cruzer
    Free Member

where abouts are you based? quest down in worthing has a demo of the scale.

I dont think your be disappointed with either. Ive got a scott scale 949 and love it. but thats only a personal view.

jimification
    Free Member

That is a pretty hard decision without a test ride…I know because I was in exactly your position last summer, choosing between the 29er Flash and the Scale without seeing either one…

I went for the Flash, partly because of the lefty (which made an awful lot of sense to me when I looked into it) and partly because I already had a Cdale carbon Six road bike which I know has that elusive stiff / comfy quality that I wanted from a hardtail MTB. I’ve heard many good things about the Scale too, though…tough choice! At the least you’ve got an owner of each here you can interrogate…

good suggestion about XC Racer too…

DWH
    Free Member

I bought a Scott Scale 29’er pro. Can’t fault it so far. I was doing pretty well in the first round of the Midlands XC series until I ripped the rear mech off while on the last lap. Can’t blame that on the bike though can you?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Personally I’d buy the cannondale, it looks nicer 😆

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Im with Steve_b77.

what about Ti?

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Cannondale all day long! Backup is much better from Cannondale and the finish imo is better. I am dreaming of either a Flash or a Yeti Big Top with a lefty… I’ve had two C’dales with leftys in the past and loved them!

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I have a Flash 29er and its fantastic! I wouldn’t describe it as comfortable, but it does remove the harshness from the trails. The only hardtail I’ve ridden that I can be comfortable on for 5 plus hours.

I love the lefty, too.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Yeti Big Top.
    Its quick!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘29er Race Bike Purchase. Which would you buy?’ is closed to new replies.