Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 29er plus – trek stache- options& opinions
  • vondally
    Free Member

Hi currently down to one bike ( the ignonomy) and having a look at 29 plus after seeing a stache- yesterday.,… So can I ask

What are the 29 plus options in frames and bikes?
    Anyone owned a stache-?
    Are 29+ just uncontrollable bounce, draggy on the climbs and expensive?

Cheers

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I have a Stache 5. It’s awesome!

doncorleoni
    Free Member
    rOcKeTdOg

Only drawback is lack of decent tyres for UK use

Daffy

I’ve just moved from a Puffin (full 26″ fat bike) to a Stache 5 with Magnum Pro forks.

First ride will be Thursday. I’ll let you know if I think it’s better.

tazzymtb

29+ is ace, surly dirt wizard on the front is epic for all sloppy muddy off camber grimness anything goes well on the rear except a knard which is cack in anything except super dry conditions. Maxxis chronicles are good rybber, vittoria bombolinis are also good alrounders.

No problems on climbs and the extra traction is welcome in loose stuff.

vondally
    Free Member

So besides stache-…..which looks interesting…..what are the other options frame wise?

Stedlocks
    Free Member

My mate has a Krampus, which is fantastic, but not the lightest at around 35 lbs,….it also has longer stays than my stache 5, and is very stable, but not very lively.
    My stache weighs in at around 26.5lbs and could go lighter easily…I’ve not tried to lighten it at all. With the super short rear end, you can pick the front up with ease, which spoils me no end when I get back on my spearfish!
    In the sloppy stuff, the chupacabras will try to kill you at every opportunity, but when it starts to dry out, or when in the loose gravelly stuff, they are immensely! You are more likely to hit your knee on the floor, than lose traction…..

I have just fitted an absolute black oval chainring to mine, and can confirm that the big tyres are neither draggy nor uncontrollably bouncy! Comparing times on regular loops to my spearfish (which is very quick) , I am a little bit down on the fast bits, but make up loads on the technical bits…..and I always have a massive grin when either riding it, or looking at it!

tazzymtb

Having ridden stache, krampus, rooster, gnarvester and custom ti 29+ my money went on a rooster, just the best ride and most fun out of them*

*the cystom ti was epic, but not built for a taz shaped rider. That would be the way to go if I had the funds.

lapdog
    Free Member

Chumba URSA is another good versatile option especially if you want to do a bit of bike packing at times.

Daffy

It’s better…much better. I’m not deriding the Puffin as a bad bike, but the bigger wheels and tyres are lighter, provide phenomenal grip (I started to get really cocky with it at the end and it almost made me pay for it..) and even at simialr pressures to the 26*4, they were more comfortable, without as much bob and no detectable squidge.

I think 29+ makes more sense for most things than full fat.

Daffy

Oh, does anyone else get noise from the chain hitting the underside of the high chainstay? I’ve not had this before with a clutch mech.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Tazzy,
    Who built the custom ti?
    thanks

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Stache 7 is awesome bike best handling hardtail I have ever owned all down to the short rear wheelbase great bike Manitou forks are very good to.Cheltenham cycles have a demo one 01242 255414.Tyres are a nightmare in this country there are some Kenda ones now at £40 each don’t know if you can get them here yet the Bonty tyres it comes with are great in mud wont be so good in dry and will wear quick not good at £90 an end.

billysugger
    Free Member

Ordered a 7. Picked it up today. I’ll add my twopeneth soon.

What swung it for me was talking to several people who worked in the industry, mechanics, shop owners etc who all raved about theirs.

trusty

I’m surprised Alex and Big H haven’t spotted this thread. Both have the new stache and love them

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m in the minority here. I bought a 7 and cannot make it work for me. It seems to be slower than my 29er hardtail and nowhere near as much fun as my full fat. Instead of best of both I’m finding it the worst of both.

billysugger
    Free Member

Does anybody sell one of the smaller mudguards for the Manitou fork. Marshguard/Bender fender style. I’d imagine a 3 inch tyre makes for a muddy face

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ok, not a Stache, – but I’ve got a Krampus,
    Gotta say, I love it.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Just to add my bit about the chupacabras, they are most definately NOT good in the mud! They try to kill you with no warning. In the dry they are excellent though, and so far, I have ridden over 1000 miles on mine, a fair bit on road, and there is no discernible wear…..the siping is still on the knobs. On a regular loop, the stache is only marginally slower than my spearfish, and quicker on a lot of sections.
    Love mine!

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Teetosugars yes I love the krampus too… In fact that was the bike I first rode that made me hanker after a 29 plus. Lovely bike… Real toss up between that and the stache but in the end went for the stache as I could get my hands on it quicker! And I liked the colour (and we all know that’s the main factor in a what bike decision)

Seems to be a bit marmite…. Either people rave about the stache or they just don’t get on with them (which is totally cool but a shame). I think it depends very much where you ride as to whether they are the right bike (and of course what you are benchmarking against).

I tried full fat (which I did not like at all) and have settled on semi fat. I am more xc these days so with a flipped short stem, the 5 rides like a fast 29er (arse up head down).

I have kept the bouncy bike for trips to Wales and of course the cx for the commute but the stache is my current go to bike.

Did pringle the front wheel the other day though… Running 8 psi is a tad too low with the rigid forks!

I am not sure how well the stach would work to be honest with bouncy forks…. Would imagine you would have the undamped air volume in the wheel fighting the forks if things were not set up spot on? Would like to try though.

And yes the chapapapapcurcaracatsaasas have tried to kill me lots. But now it’s a bit drier they are absolutely perfect.

singletracksurfer

Got a krampus and love it, so much fun and versatile. 29+ works best for me I think.

Krampus is a tad heavy though for fast racy type riding, so I’m planning to sell it (size large if anyone is interested) and import a carbon lamere frame & fork. Taking a while to make the plunge though as the krampus is so much fun and a LOT cheaper.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve just gone with a 50mm stem and 800mm bars and slammed the rear wheel as far as it will go and it was a tad better. I’m going to cut the bars down gradually and see how it is as I’m not giving up quite yet.

vondally
    Free Member

Single speed suffer…out of curiosity …how much for the krampus

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I am using a Toepeak fender on mine works fine mind I do like them have them on a few bikes 🙂

jabbi
    Free Member

+1 fd3chris
    I didn’t gel with the 29er plus thing, my Stache has ended up like this Can’t get the BB code on a PS4
    Great bike, probably a combination of Chupacabras and incessant mud that put me off ! I may try again at some point.

Alex

I’m surprised Alex and Big H haven’t spotted this thread

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FHLkpX]MTB Malverns on a sunny day[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Been busy riding 😉 I have a 2nd Hand stache 9. If I’d bought new one, I’d have gone 27.5+ but it came 29+ so I though I’d give it a go. Changed suicide squad Chupa’s for a pair of Chronicles which are better but defo NOT a mud tyre. Very good in anything else tho.

Run them at 11 in the back, 13 in the front. Not a massive fan of the fork and mine only has 100mm (not 110mm as advertised) travel. They feel really dead in a car park test but seem okay on the trail. Yari I think at some point.

Only ridden mine about 400km so far. Mainly in the FoD and twice in the Malverns. Wrote a thing here after first ride: http://pickled-hedgehog.com/?p=3630

I was on it again today after riding my Aeris for the last few rides. It really is a hoot. Pretty light, climbs well and is so short (putting it on the bike trailer makes me realise how much shorter it is the the Aeris even considering the susp linkage) and stiff. But roomy as well. Brilliant in the corners, phenomenal grip if you’re brave and so comfy over the jumps. Those big tyres really do provide a cushion on landings and lumpy trails.

I sold my old Stache (non chubby) hardtail because it beat my old bones up. The chubby seems to suggest so far I can keep riding hardtails a bit longer. And it’s a brilliant bike to do that on.

I would like to try it 27.5+ (That’s what H’s is) but not for a bit. Looking forward to first blasting around the singletrack when it’s totally dry. Definitely more of a scaled up hardtail than a scaled down fat bike.

dovebiker

Just done 3.5 hours on my 29+ currently set-up as singlespeed – handled all the deep, sloppy stuff with aplomb, grippy enough to cope with lots of exposed roots and absolutely bombs the downhills. Custom titanium frame designed for a shorter, rigid fork – when I finally wear-out the Knards will probably swap to Bombolonis.

]29+[/url]

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘29er plus – trek stache- options& opinions’ is closed to new replies.