Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 29er newbie – what should I be buying?
  • Sanny
    Free Member

Hello

As a newbie to the world of the 29er, I’d really appreciate some advice on what I should be looking for in terms of fork, rims and tyre set up.

I’ve decided on getting a Singular Swift frameset and was wondering what you would recommend to kit it out? I’m planning on using it as a go anywhere kind of machine (big days out in the mountains kind of riding) but with the option of fast scoots in woodsy singletrack. I guess I’m really looking at two sets of wheels – one for a bit of speed, the other heavier duty. So what would folk recommend?

On a similar point, what’s the general consensus on Bolt thru Reba forks for 29ers?

Cheers

Sanny

ton

120mm bolt thru reba is probably THE best 29r fork you can buy mate.
    stay away from white bros forks.

singlespeedstu

Why not have a chat with Sam as you're getting a frame from him.

I'm sure he'll sort you out with some good kit for the right price.

Oh and the reba 120's a great fork.

TooTall
    Free Member

I think having a 'do it all' bike that you change the wheels depending on what of the all you are doing is a bit strange. You can build up some pretty light but strong wheels these days.

thomthumb
    Free Member

stans flow rims or bontrager dusters (available through singular) would be a good comprimise.

could also us them as the beefier rims and drop some weight with a lighter set later if needed.

racing ralphs 2.4 are my favourite tyre although bonty acx are nice too.

tyres i like the look of but haven't tried are maxxis crossmark and ardent. I've had a spin on a 26" ardent and seems good.

FivebarG
    Free Member

My Swift has Bontrager duster rims (28mm wide) built onto Hope hubs by Sam's own fair hands. Running with Mud X 2" tyres at the moment but have some Panaracer Rampages for the summer. Got a pair of RS Reba's (100mm) with the 5mm QR but the rigid Swift forks can cope with most of my local riding, especially in winter.

I also have gears on it but don't tell Sam….. ;0)

The FS bike has been sat in the back of the shed for months since setting the swift up this way…….. happy days.

mdb
    Free Member

I run Maxxis Ardents and can highly recommend them.

I would suggest Bonty Mud X for when things get wet.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I've got the Fox 29ers forks set at 100mm on my On-One.
    Rims are Bonty X Lite or some-such, really rather light.
    For the dry weather, RRalf 2.25 for speed and Bony ACX 2.2 (everso slightly less aggressive than the Mud X which I have, but have not found a need for) this time of the year. I find these two tryes most excellent.
    Tubeless too.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

I Have Stans Arch rims built onto Stans ZTR Hubs with DT Comp spokes. Quite light at 1870g for the pair and plenty strong enough for most duties. Also got 2" bonty mud X running tubeless and they seem great, stacks of grip at 20PSI. I also have a pair of Reba 29ers set at 100mm, they are off for a service at the mo, so refitted my On-One carbons and on woodland trails, you can hardly tell the difference, weighs just over 23lbs or nearer 25 with the rebas fitted. Frame is an 18"Scandal and the only problem I have is that non of my other bikes have been used all winter……Love it

epicyclo

If you use fat tyres with the standard Swift forks, you'll save a heap by not having to buy a suspension fork. The standard Swift fork is very supple and comfortable for a rigid fork. You can use the money saved to bling up the wheels etc and have a very nice bike.

Ride like that for a while and if you don't like it, then buy a suspension fork.

I put a suspension fork on my Swift and took it off after 3 weeks because it didn't improve the ride enough to make the extra weight worthwhile.

Sanny
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I'd heard the Dusters were great rims but have now been discontinued.

Have any of you run 2.4 Conti Mountain Kings?

Am I right in thinking that Stans rims are the rim of choice? I like the look of the 355 Flows. I run a Ritchey swiss cross using Mavic Open Pro CDs on mountain bike runs with good success so running a light pair of wheels on a 29er should hopefully work well for me.

Do any of you run Stans on a tubeless set up? Does it make a big difference?

Thanks again.

Sanny

Shackleton

2.4 MKs are good if the terrain is soft and you run them at low pressure tubeless. On large expanses of rock or very hard ground they corner strangely but otherwise work well in almost all conditions and give good cushioning. Don't bother with the 2.2.

Running Stans Arch rims tubeless on Hope ProII. Not a cheap set up but will do for everything it is sensible to use the swift for and easy to swap from 20mm to 9mm. I found that weight of the rim (and tyre) matters much more with 29ers than 26ers so went for the lightest I could afford (monetarily and strength).

Ti29er
    Free Member

My RRalf in 2.25 look huge; but work well.
    If you go to 2.4, they'll be enormous and rob you of more speed perhaps.
    You also need to consider tyre / mud clearance at that size.
    Bonty lightweight wheel seem to do the trick.
    I picked up some X lite on eBay for 1/2 price.
    Definitely tubeless.

nuke

Swifts come with forks, don't they? If you're a first time 29er user, I'd suggest trying with the rigid forks before spending out getting suspension forks. I preferred my 29er with rigid forks.

mboy
    Free Member

The Stans rims are very very nice, but also very very expensive.

For something a bit more affordable, but still very high quality, look at the Mavic TN719 rims. They're 25mm wide (so not quite as wide as Stans or Bonty, but still a decent width), bang on 500g each in weight (not too bad for a 29er rim) and they're eyeletted too so should last ages. Oh, and I'm running mine tubeless too. Ghetto was easy enough, just used a 24" inner tube slit down the middle, put the tyre on, in with some sealant, and pump like crazy…

Tyre wise, at the moment I'm running some 2.2" Kenda Nevegals, which incidentally are BIG for a 2.2". They seem a pretty good all round tyre, not great in the deep mud like a Mud X say, but they just seem pretty good most of the time. And as I said, they're big, so add an element of cushioning too. To be fair though, they might end up being swapped for some Bontrager Mud X's in 2" flavour sometime soon, at least until some of the mud starts to dry up…

bigsi
    Free Member

Sanny – Have a look at the Manitou Minutes with a 20mm bolt through, cheaper than Rebas and just as good imho once you've get them set up right.

For the wheels I'm currently running Halo Freedoms but have a set of Hope ProII hubs in the shed that i hope to get built up on to the 29er Mavic rims in the few months time. These are run with Bonty ACX's which are good although i will be investing in something slicker for when it dries out.

Oh and welcome to the revolution 😛

emac65
    Free Member

Another vote for the 29" ACX's,a truly amazing tyre that seems to work on most surfaces…..

Duc
    Free Member

Stans Arch are decent compromise of lightweaight and strength.
    I've not found the need to run anything over 2.2 tyres on the 29er
    I'm running Maverick SC forks in 29er mode and they work really well and super easy to tinker with if thats your thing. Some good deals around on them too last time I looked

Ti29er
    Free Member

BONTRAGER JONES ACX FOLDING TYRE 29er 29 X 2.2 INCH on eBay

You'll not go far wrong with these at this time of the year.

Clink

I have, but running rigid.

emac65
    Free Member

I have, but running rigid.

I'm <ahem>rigid too,but the ACX's are biggish volume….

Clink

I always thought i was a wuss 😳

clipper
    Free Member

Shackleton – how do you find the MK 2.4s on an arch rim? the stan's website indicates that 2.3 is the limit but i know continental are sometimes on the small side. i don't really need the extra strength of the flow rim so preferance would be to save a bit of weight

DSB
    Free Member

runnin my lynskey pro 29 on mavic crossride with conti 2.2 mountain king and have to say they are excellent!! normally a maxxis man and was sceptical about the conti's in the wet/roots etc as found speed king supersonics lethal and have HR's and medusa XC on the 456 and the contis surpass them:-)

now have an anthem and ti 456 gathering dust…and loving the revolution 😉

rOcKeTdOg

without

or with?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘29er newbie – what should I be buying?’ is closed to new replies.