Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 29er Mtb frame for cx ?
  • snap
    Free Member

Ive been looking to get a cx bike for a while now
    i like the look of the dirty disco , but they are sold out until Nov 8th
    And it appears they are going up to £799

My dilemma is this im not going to be racing anyway ,so ive got the thought in my head to get a 29er with rigid forks and put some narrow tyres on (say a solaris)

The main reason for this is ive never ridden cx , do lots of road miles and hardly ever ride on the drops,
    so why not flat bar a 29er put some narrow tyres on which will allow me to keep up with the lads when on the road (they have cx bikes)
    Forgot to ad i already have loads of mtb bits
    Hydraulic brakes ,stem ,post , crest wheels, etc
    all gearing except chainset
    Has anybody done this then regretted it ,and eventually brought a cx bike
    Thanks

oldgit
    Free Member

I don’t know if it’s because you’ve not made yourself clear, but. You want a bike to ride on the road and to do some CX possibly, and you don’t mention wanting to do any MTB’ing on it?

Cx or hybrid

snap
    Free Member

Hi
    Should of said the intention is for our group to
    Ride a mixture of roads and bridle ways through the
    Winter instead singlespeeding
    I’m the only one without a cx bike , I’m worried I won’t like the riding
    Position of a dropped bar cx ,and miss the braking power of a Mtb

snotrag

The bike i’ve built recently sounds ideal, I use it for that exact type of riding. Kona dr dew frame, lx disc brakes, a touring size deore chainset (28,38,48) and mtb group set, flat bar, 700c wheels with continental CX tyres. Fine off road but miles faster on road than an mtb.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I ride with guys on road bikes on the road and I ride with guys on Cyclocross bikes, but I only have a 29er hardtail. I changed my tyres to some 28mm Marathon Plus tyres and the bike is fully rigid and I keep up with everyone and sometimes, they have to keep up with me :wink:! I’m also after one of those Dirty Disco’s! 😉

traildog
    Free Member

If you already have a lot of parts, then itmight well make sense. The position will probably be slightly more upright which could slow you down slightly, but I wouldn’t have thought much. Be careful putting very low profile tyres on, as it may drop your BB too much.

I’ve riden on my mountain bike with cross riders quite a few times. As a group, it’s ok – I struggle like mad to keep with them on the road, ok on gravel and pull away when it gets rocky. A cross bike is certainly faster though and excels in the mud and grass.

mrhoppy

I went through the same thought process, and was considering a 29er with flat bars and bar ends, in the end I went for a Cotic X with drops despite not getting on with drops previously. I made it work for me by keeping the bars a little higher and getting shallow drops, it is less aero than a full on cross bike but better than a mtb. It gives a good mix of positions, on shorter rides I stay in the drops, longer rides I tend to make more use of the hoods.

oldgit
    Free Member

snap I’d not bother with a mountainbike if it wasn’t for the fact I want to race them now and again.
    Last night the whole group were on crossers, is a road club though.
    Sadly you’re not allowed to enter MTB events with a crosser, even though the cyclocross world welcomes MTBs…not fair.

I’d sack the MTB and get something like this if I didn’t need it.

rOcKeTdOg

rigid 29er/CX type thing?

the what is it ride by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

very versatile and a lot of fun

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘29er Mtb frame for cx ?’ is closed to new replies.