• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by core.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29er HT V 26er HT
  • oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Will I find a noticeable improvement in comfort moving from my 26 HT to a 29 HT?

DrP

Definitely, probably, yes.

I did. Ergo, studies where n=1 are conclusive.

DrP

LeeW

I have to be honest, I didn’t, I noticed a big improvement in climbing traction though.

And a massive increase in wheel explosions.

A harsh 29er frame is less comfy than a comfy 26er in my experience.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

depends on the rest of the bike…

Wheel size is only one factor. The wheels will make it different but then a racy 26″ HT is very different to a 150mm 26″ HT

ceepers

If they are similar “style” of bike similar travel etc then yes in my experience. I noticed better grip, less “dropping into small holes” and better rollover.

A 26 full sus will be more comfy still

qwerty
    Free Member

Surely the answer is fat, or
    650b, or +.

LeeW
    FOG

I have a 29er FS and a 26in Soul. I thought they would complement each other but what has happened is that I am plotting to get a Solaris instead of the Soul so the answer is probably yes.

rhayter

Plus 1 for ‘maybe’.

It really depends on the frame. My Yeti Big Top 29r is fairly comfy, but it was built with a carbon rear to add a little cush to a very stiff alu front end.

The big difference I noticed was when riding roots at slow speed (climbing, for example. Or more likely in my case, just being slow). My 29r just doesn’t get held up by roots, gullys and rocks, it just rolls straight over. That sold me on 29rs.

ceepers

I have a soul and a 650b bandit FS. I’m increasingly tempted by a steel 29er HT for winter duties…

From a thread I posted a couple of weeks ago:

I’d written 29ers off as too cumbersome for my stature (5’6 and a half!) but borrowed a trek stache 7 yesterday and was really surprised. It was fast, as fast as my FS 650b bandit on a couple of descents and it turned fine too (admittedly our trails aren’t that twisty) felt like loads of grip too despite a cheapish fork and narrower bars/longer stem and more spacers than I would have run
    The extra rollover was really noticeable too
    It kind of blew my preconceptions wide open and hinted at a lot of fun with a better (maybe steel) set up for a hardtail on my local trails

My hard tail (soul) gets winter and change of pace use but only locally now I have a FS. The n+1 itch has got me thinking solaris/ transition trans am29/ Stanton Sherpa

scandal42
    Free Member

I’m ashamed 😳

I never thought I would say this but my recently built up 29er is the most fun bike I’ve ridden, and that is saying something seeing as it’s single speed and rigid.

It just tanks along and feels easily as nimble as my previous and current 26ers.

Even considering a fs 29er for the peaks and wales etc

medoramas
    Free Member

If you are fit enough to tackle very steep climbs (especially those with loose rocks and plenty of roots) that’s where you’ll definitely notice the difference – there is a bit more of traction under the rear tyre, plus the front tackles the obstacles better.

Otherwise I’m lacking too much skills to feel the difference in wheel size… 🙄

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

So this will start the usual debate – what’s a comfy 29er hardtail frame?

jonba
    Free Member

Not comfort but I think they do XC style riding better. I would suggest the difference is small though, if you need a new bike then seriously consider a 29er. IF you have a good bike already I wouldn’t bother.

LMT
    Free Member

I noticed a massive difference, game changer as it were. I ride with a mate who road bikes every day to/from work. His fitness is immense compared to mine he leaves me on the climbs and the first ride out I was all wiggins all over his rear tyre, second time out neck and neck, now he chases me up the climbs.

Yes it takes a little longer to get rolling, but when it rolls its all good.

Just need to find the right bike, right size and enjoy. I’ve got a Canyon: Grand Canyon, best hardtail ive rode in a long time.

core

For XC type riding I much prefer my 29er (scandal, not built up particularly light), it does roll over small bumps/roots/logs better, takes bumpy washboard type stuff better, and is so quick once you get it wound up, just seems to keep momentum and allow me to climb faster than I have any right to. Yesterday I was slightly dreading one bank on the way home, near the end of the ride, but was at the top before i knew it.

On the flip side, it is slightly more cumbersome in the tight and twisty stuff, and on steep descents I’d rather be hanging my arse out over the rear of a 26″ bike, it’s just more fun, though the scandal is very XC orientated IMO.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29er HT V 26er HT’ is closed to new replies.