• This topic has 12 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 29er. Have you converted your Fox 29er 80mm to 100mm? Or visa versa?
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

I'm running mine at 80mm (measures 90mm on the stantions).
    It's an OnOne, and whilst I am perfectly happy, I understand the procedure for making the Fox forks 100mm.
    Has anyone done this, or gone the other way?
    What effect(S)?
    Just curious, that's all!

singlespeedstu

Yep.

I converted the F29 on Mrsssstu's Paragon from 80mm to 100mm.

Dead easy to do. You just need to drop a spacer out.

You can get the fork working much plusher in the 100mm mode.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Thanks; I know the procedure.
    I am interested in the other details tbh.
    What effect(s) if any?
    Is it just plusher?
    The geometry is going to changed for sure.
    BB height is going to change as is the wheel base and the angle of the fork ( is that trail or rake, I can never recall?).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    singlespeedstu

As far as the effects go on the Paragon they've only been positive.

It doesn't seem to have slowed the steering down any but it's made it slightly more stable. With the extra 20mm you can run it a bit softer for a much smoother action.

Try it and if you dont like it swap it back as it doesn't take long to do.

Sam

I'd be fairly sure that if you're getting 90mm of actual travel at the moment then they're already in 100mm mode – it'd be the first time I'd seen forks measure longer travel than stated on the box.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I know – odd isn't it?
    My Fox F100 on my 26er measures 110mm.

STATO
    Free Member

stantion length is not an indication of travel (if it were youd be bottoming out on the seals and would need new ones every other week!). Stick a cable tie on the stantions then bottom them out, measure the distance and thats your travel (itll prob be a few mm shorter than advetised as the bottom out bumper is included in the travel but never fully compresses)

singlespeedstu

If they're measuring 90mm from seal to crown they're in 80mm mode.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I'm measuring the gold coloured stantion (?) . All else is white both below (there's a seal) and above.
    Assume it's in the 80mm position as like you say, not all that's gold is actual travel.

STATO
    Free Member

Ti29er – yes that sounds right, the stantion is not all used up in the travel as the seal would be damaged. Different forks/models have different amount of exposed stantion depending on their design, your fox typically have 10mm more stantion showing than there travel. Other forks may have upto 20-30mm more stantion showing than travel, depends how they were designed, so you cant use that measurement as an indicator of travel.

Chevin
    Free Member

Hi,
    Only just seen this, so you may have done it already! I thought I would just say do it! I found that in 80mm travel I could either bottom the forks too easily or not get full travel and never get a happy inbetween setting. Swapped to 100mm and I have a fork that feels a lot plusher, and I can get full travel. Setting them up with about 2 1/2 cm sag I realy can't tell any difference in steering, handling, bb height, fork angle etc etc.

Put it this way I won't be goimg back!

Matthew

Ti29er
    Free Member

I'll do it Friday pm and let you know how my 2hr training ride goes.
    Thanks

Sam

Sorry for the confusion – I thought you were talking about measured travel (by the zip tie/dust line method) rather than stanchion length.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘29er. Have you converted your Fox 29er 80mm to 100mm? Or visa versa?’ is closed to new replies.