Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 29er Hardtails & wheel sizes etc.
  • Aristotle
    Free Member

Having been doing a lot less off-road riding in the years since having children, I have finally got back into it, to some extent.

I am currently the owner of a ’03 Kona Stuff hardtail that is now setup as a fairly light singlespeed, having previously been built-up more heftily. I’ve always liked the handling of this frame. It currently gets used for muddy night riding.

I also have a ’06/’07 Kona Dawg with about 5″(?) of rear travel (This is probably considered XC-lite-commuter these days) and old-style Coil Pikes. Even with an air shock it weights a lot. It performs quite well on the rocks of the Lakes and the Pennines.

I would like a new full suspension bike, but the one I have gets very little use as I no longer get to the mountains very often, so I’ll stick with the old one.

Having heard that these new fangled 29ers were all the rage, I’ve had thoughts about getting a 1×10/11 29er trail/XC hardtail which would be good for the quicker XC rides.

What I have since discovered is that many/most mountain bikes are now 27.5ers,(so not possibly a lot different to 26″ wheel bikes)

….What happened to all of the 29ers …and 26ers?

Anyway, I will probably still look for a 29er hardtail. ~120mm fork, not too heavy, probably Alu rather than Carbon as I would want it to last.

Ideas so far:
    Canyon Grand Canyon
    On-One Parkwood

Preferably used.

Any others?

Cheers

z1ppy

White x29 series, come with 100mm forks but take 120mm happily, new one have revised geo, so make sure your aware of the differences when looking 2nd hand
    Yelli screamy, Kona Taro/honzo (older ones are heavy steel, new ones come as Ali/steel or Ti), transistion scout (bit new for many for sale 2nd hand), trek stache, banshee paradox come to mind off-hand

Aristotle
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions

steve_b77
    Free Member

Kinesis FF29 is a good one

chakaping
    Free Member

The older style Trek Stache is a handy all-rounder, a few more options…

Voodoo Bizango.

Vitus Sentier VRS.

Pinnacle Ramin.

Some of those would make good new buys – especially the Vitus with 10% BC discount at CRC.

gerti
    Free Member

I’d 2nd Pinnacle Ramin, 2015 models reduced atm, with a couple of ex-demo bargains too. Think they come with a 120mm fork from the Ramin 4 up.

Aristotle
    Free Member

I have ended up with a 2014 Boardman Pro 29er with 100mm, rather than 120mm, fork.

it rolls noticeably better uup kerbs than my 26er 😉

welshfarmer

Recommending what I ride… if you can get hold of a Kinesis FF29, then that fits your requirements spot on. I really really love mine and take it down some seriously gnarly stuff. I have a large built to be strong but light and it comes in at under 25lb with pedals, 2×10, a reverb and reinforced tyres.

Northwind

Nukeproof Scout’s worth a look. Nice handling, sizing maybe a bit wee (I rode a medium, it felt small, I’m 5’10), stiffer than I’d like but some folks like that.

Aristotle – Member

probably Alu rather than Carbon as I would want it to last.

No reason to assume carbon won’t last tbh. Though, most carbon hardtails are pretty racey.

Aristotle
    Free Member

It’s ok, chaps, I’ve already got a bike now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘29er Hardtails & wheel sizes etc.’ is closed to new replies.