Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 29er Hardtail Frames with 142mm Rear Spacing?
  • Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Looking for next winters project as my hardtail could use changed… since I have some 29″ wheels and plans to uprate the forks on the bouncy clown bike I am wanting something compatible, hence 142 rear spacing.

The only options I can come up with are:

Transition TransAm 29
    Kona Honzo – but 1 x 10 gearing around the Lakes may be too restrictive?
    Salsa ? – but that may be over forked with 120mm Rebas

Anything else out there? Ideally cheaper and steel?

I may wind up waiting for the 2014 frames to show up and see what else appears otherwise!

mtbfix

In answer to the title, Yeti Big Top. However it does not fulfil the cheap steel requirement.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Lol forgot about the Yeti.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

And just seen the price!!!

Youch – same problem ruled out the Niner

khani
    Free Member

You can get 142 Alternator dropouts for an El Mariachi, but 120 forks might be pushing it,. And you’d probably have to buy then on top of the frame..
    Triton cycles are some doing good prices on em though, so it’d probably come in at less than list price including the dropouts off them..
    Good frame tough, ss, gears, rigid, bouncy, all good and dead easy, the swingy dropouts work a treat.

MrTall
    Free Member

I’ve got a Honzo but the 1st generation qr rear. Can’t say I notice a lack of stiffness in it with the qr, it’s built strong to say the least.

It’s a fun bike to ride but its pretty heavy (not an issue for me). I run 120 reba’s on it but have just got some of the cheap crc 130mm revs to replace them and give better tyre clearance.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I really was set on the Honzo… but read that it was stupidly difficult to fit a front mech ruling out a simple 2 * 10 setup. Kinda puts me off a bit (although I suppose I could run a smaller ring up front since it would be mainly a winter/cruddy weather bike).

At the moment the Transition is probably the best solution, but would like to be spnding less really

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Don’t forget the Kinesis Sync

drain

Canyon Grand Canyon AL 29er has X12 142mm rear. Seems to be Canyon policy to run bolt through F and R to stiffen up the big wheels. Not steel though, Crazy good value!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Steel is not essential, but would rather go that way over aluminium for comfort… titanium though – would love that, but may be a lot too spendy!

Couple more good options though.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Highball carbon £1600 😯

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I am now a bit in love with that Kinesis… alas I have also just seen the price tag… that is about 3x what I was thinking of!!!!

Maybe one day…

househusband

Might be worth dropping 2Souls an email… I’m sure I came across a comment that they were looking at 142mm dropouts.

mdb
    Free Member

Kona Big Kahuna. It’s Scandium not steel but its 142 rear and I reckon looks good.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Capt will 29 PA be out soon? Might fulfil the brief though details are a bit scetchy at present?

PJay
    Free Member

What about a Pipedream Skookum? It’s 853 steel and reasonably affordable and will take 120mm forks. I’m clueless when it comes to 142mm dropouts but it does do sliding dropouts and I think that there are a variety available (QR, Rohloff etc.); you can even run a belt drive. It might be worth checking with Pipedream about the available dropouts.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I spent some quality time on the prototype Sync and it was a lot of fun to ride, I’ve got an FF29 currently, but the sync is what i really want…..

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I keep looking for info on the Prince Albert, but not seen anything on the dropouts as yet. The Skookum looks nice, but I don’t think runs 142 spacing. Shame really.

There are a few with 135mm Maxel back ends, but not many with the 142. Had this chat in DC Cycles t’other day and we were drawing a bit of a blank on other options, especially ones that were not too spendy!

takisawa2

Niner SIR.9 is now142mm. If the EBB isn’t needed the MCR is cheaper, but not sure if they still make it actually. Love mine to bits. Rides beautifully, but not cheap. You’ll need to drop the Rebas to 100mm I think, but Niner’s do have a steep head angle so 120mm might just work. The ride is simply sublime.

SIR 9

If you anywhere near me (Staffs) your welcome to have a go. Charliethebikemonger has a demo bike also.
    Did I mention the ride… 😉

messiah
    Free Member

Diamond Back Mason if you can find one.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘29er Hardtail Frames with 142mm Rear Spacing?’ is closed to new replies.