Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 29er General purpose tyres with a bias towards mud????
  • sp
    Free Member

Well summers finally gotten the better of my 2.4 conti mountain kings. Any recommendations for general purpose tyres with a bias towards wet dust AKA mud. Preference towards running tubeless with sealant.

pete68
    Free Member

Was impressed with my Maxxis Beavers at 24/12 last week. Quick rolling but still with plenty of grip. Set up tubeless as well.

sp
    Free Member

Thanks for that Pete, its a new one for me, the contis were not ideal at mayhem 😳

Any other recommendations…

jameso

Purgatory 2.2s are a good all-round wet condition tyre, not a mud-specific but great on mixed wet ground (local trails are gravel, chalk-clay, mud, roots, pine-needle loamy stuff). Cheap too. A bit thin compared to a UST casing but not too bad, TLR works well and a fair weight.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

As per Beavers Bonty Mud X’s are a good all round “mud” tyre wish they did a slightly bigger version than the 2.0’s.
    Got a 1 ride old pair of Smorgasboards (went up fine tubeless on Stans rims), which I’m about to bung on the classifieds if you fancy them £27 posted for the pair.

sp
    Free Member

Looks like the Purgatory come up quite wide, this is one of the issues with the conti mk 2.4. I do like the the price of the Purgatory.

jameso

Similar to an Ardent 2.25 in volume, but smaller than a 2.2 Rubber Queen.

sp
    Free Member

Mal-ec have to ask why you selling the Smorgasboards? How wide do they come up on stans rims (I have Flows). Must admit I have the Bonty Mud x is a contender other than price.

vorlich
    Free Member

I run a mud-X on the back of my 26er and agree it’s pretty good all round, although I think I want a bit more volume on my HT.

sp
    Free Member

Yes Mud-X looks they way forward, have read up on the smorgs, dont think its for me.

Anybody selling Bonty Mud Xs ????? 😆

tony24
    Free Member

for my half lap at the 24/12 before i ripped my mech off i had just fitted a specialized storm control and thought it was really good aired and sealed the night before as well 😀

Clink

Mud x are great as a mud tyre, but a bit narrow/low volume for general use (in 29er 2.0 version).

xcneil
    Free Member

Rocket Ron

sp
    Free Member

Jeez its raining AGAIN, maybe even the Black Shark Mud!

Any ‘budget’ brands worth looking at?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Maxxis beaver seemed to be ok

pete68
    Free Member

SP, I’ve got a pair of mud x to sell. They’ve been used a couple of times but have loads of life left. If you’re interested let me know. Email in profile.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for purgatory’s, I bought mine for the winter and they’ve been fine for just normal wet riding and work OK in the really gloopy bits. I hate propper mud tyres as unless you’re riding through axle deep mud they’re just draggy. Not had any problems with the tubeless or sidewall.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘29er General purpose tyres with a bias towards mud????’ is closed to new replies.